Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Opinion on Ultra

Well I finally got to see the new Ultra in person. The dealer got a LX in. WOW is it a BIG boat !! You won't catch me calling it a ski...boat all the way ! I had mixed reactions to it. Since it was not the SC model, the engine had a bit of breathing space around it. It is going to be a pain in the butt to have to unbolt (4 bolts) the section under the rear seat every time to access and clean a water strainer for the engine and intercooler. (if you install one...I will) You would also have to do this if you wanted to clamp off the intake water hose if you have to tow the ski. The things that looked like air intakes in front of the ski are all fake. The ski breaths through 2 tiny round intakes under the front cowl. It looks like the volume of air would be about half what gets into a GTX ! The blue paint used comes out better in photos than it looks in person. It is a blue enamel that doesn't have any metallic in it. Looks like a watercolor blue. Flat and boring compared to the blue used on some of the Kawi motorcycles parked next to it. I should have ordered the red. The front hatch and cowling are sturdy enough. Much more so than the new GTi or the 12F and 15F. Hand grips seem soft and give a good hold for stockers. The pump is all aluminum and the wear ring is SS.....surprising as this is the LX that would compare with the GTX where everything is made of plastic. The luggage compartment is huge, but the removable tray should have some sort of handle on it (like the Ltd has) Mats are gray Hydro turf. The sponsons are really crude looking. I can't see how the boat could turn with them. The sponson bottoms remind me of a short pair of snow skis. Maybe they are needed to get the butt end of the ski up on plane quickly ?? The ride plate has a V shape like the older model GTX. The noch in the plate at the transom looks like it would pull the stern down at speed. It might have been a reflection, but it sure looked like the hull has a big hook in the last 6 inches or so. I wish I had a straight edge to see if it does. That would explain why it rides wet and plows through the water. Kawi uses enough silicone sealer on the ride plate and grate and applies it sloppily. It has to be trimmed down flush or it will rob speed. There was enough extra epoxy holding the deck to the hull to seal about 3 skis...it bulged out and looked sloppy. But probably better too much glue than not enough !

The ski is basically ok, but I think Kawi could have refined it more, considering the 3 years they took to introduce their answer to the SD's, hence my mixed emotions on it.

I forgot to add info on the seat in my above post. The seat is extremely light weight as Shibby said. However it is not up to the quality of the SD seats. There are no edge guards on the seat. The plastic backing has to be very thin..the weight had to be saved somewhere.

Richard
    Last edited by way2fast; 01-04-2007 at 09:22 PM.

+1
    I got to read the complete watercraft world article today.

If a wake board edition went as fast as the ultra I hope you guys are not disappointed.

2.1 versus 1.8 to 30 does not seem that much faster to me. Rxp was not even mentioned.

My single pipe runs almost 74 miles per hour in 800 ft with a full tank of fuel
    and top speed set up. Where is the Ultra supposed to blow by it?

+1
    "My single pipe runs almost 74 miles per hour in 800 ft with a full tank of fuel and top speed set up. Where is the Ultra supposed to blow by it?"

Whoever said a stock Ultra was supposed to blow by a 74 mph GPR? If it did though I would guess "where" would be off the line and in the acceleration department (maybe like 0 to 69 mph).

"If a wake board edition went as fast as the ultra I hope you guys are not disappointed."

How often have you seen stock "wakes" doing over 69 mph? That's a bs #.

+1

So Way2Fast are you going to buy??

Now that you've seen it, are you going to buy it??

What else would you get if not this Kawa? A 07 RXT??

inquiring minds want to know!!!!

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    i gotta get to the boat show

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tomgtv View Post
    Now that you've seen it, are you going to buy it??

What else would you get if not this Kawa? A 07 RXT??

inquiring minds want to know!!!!
    Before seeing it my chance of purchasing it went from 100% (when it was first introduced and I gave my deposits) to about 50% before today. When I got home I made some adjustments to the bunks on my trailer so I guess I'll be getting one !! Poor car will have to stand in the driveway.

Richard

Just a H-20 HO....Need I say More! Mykull's Avatar
    Hey Richard.......Since you got to see it in person, did you remember 2 measure the hull?? Im doing Bunkaps this weekend and wanted to readjust the bunk boards on trailer before the toy arrives. Thanx........Mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykull View Post
    Hey Richard.......Since you got to see it in person, did you remember 2 measure the hull?? Im doing Bunkaps this weekend and wanted to readjust the bunk boards on trailer before the toy arrives. Thanx........Mike

Mike; The boat was on a PWC stand that had 2x4's mounted vertically 18" apart , inside edge to inside edge. They barely cleared the hull strakes at that setting. I figure that the 2x4 flat mounted trailer bunks should be set at 23" to 24" apart, center to center to fit inbetween the strakes. The degree of "tilt" on the 2x4 bunks will make the center to center measurement change. I had to approximate the 22.5 degree hull angle to set the bunks at 23" apart on my trailer.

Hope that helps

Richard

Just a H-20 HO....Need I say More! Mykull's Avatar
    Richard....Thanks...Its a start till i get it on the trailer to fine adjust it..

Mike

2.1 versus 1.8 to 30 does not seem that much faster to me. Rxp was not even mentioned.

That is like 15% faster 0-30. At 70 mph, you are going 102.66 ft/s and 0.3 seconds is 30.8 feet at 70mph.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information