Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SHO fuel usage

+1

SHO fuel usage

How is the fuel usage on the FX/FZ SHO's compared to simularly performing GPR's? It seems like the SeaDoo guys talk of heavy fuel usage on the 255 hp Doo's, and have not talked to anyone who has a SHO. My 1390 GK GPR seems pretty good on gas, and I wondered how the big 4 strokes do.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    How is the fuel usage on the FX/FZ SHO's compared to simularly performing GPR's? It seems like the SeaDoo guys talk of heavy fuel usage on the 255 hp Doo's, and have not talked to anyone who has a SHO. My 1390 GK GPR seems pretty good on gas, and I wondered how the big 4 strokes do.
    If you're not making boost (5k or under) then the fuel economy on the SHO engine is great. 100 miles on a tank no problem. But, If you are making a lot of boost, I would say 70 miles per tank. These are the numbers I have experienced while riding my FZR.

+1
    A stock SHO is probably quite a bit better on gas than your GPR. My 1390 drinks fuel like it's free. A stock SHO uses 18-19GPH @ WOT in stock form. You'll find more detailed info here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...&highlight=gph

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    If you're not making boost (5k or under) then the fuel economy on the SHO engine is great. 100 miles on a tank no problem. But, If you are making a lot of boost, I would say 70 miles per tank. These are the numbers I have experienced while riding my FZR.
    on a stock SHO, you will get 57 to 59 miles on a full tank. i know because i ran out of fuel on a flatwater river race which was a 58 to 60 mile round trip.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    on a stock SHO, you will get 57 to 59 miles on a full tank. i know because i ran out of fuel on a flatwater river race which was a 58 to 60 mile round trip.
    Right, I assume that you were WOT the whole time. My estimate of 70mph was my experience of riding fairly hard on the ocean, where I use my GPS as an odometer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Right, I assume that you were WOT the whole time. My estimate of 70mph was my experience of riding fairly hard on the ocean, where I use my GPS as an odometer.
    yes, wot 99% of the time. i would of made if i would of topped the tank off too the fuel cap.
    the water was flat like the state of texas.

+1
    Our group does a lot of very long rides. To the point some carry gas 2x 5 gallon cans in racks. Very hard riding will get you about 5mpg on a SHO. Pretty much take that to the bank. The tank will hold exactly 18.3 gallons filled to the brim. I have got 100 miles on long smooth cruises but that is no fun so I don't do it very often. SHOs don't have a reserve tank and gas gauges are unreliable plus I hate the thought of mounting gas racks on the back so I put 2x 2 gallon cans in the forward storage. At first I though this might be dangerous but the new tanks are vapor locked and I haven't had a bit of trouble. I would like to get a poly gas tank from the marine salvage yard (motorcycle maybe) and fit it into the forward compartment for very long runs (Bimini or Keys from Naples) so that I can open a valve and let gas flow into the main tank gravity fed. Putting gas into the ski from cans at sea is difficult to say the least. I'll probably set that up in the spring.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    Our group does a lot of very long rides. To the point some carry gas 2x 5 gallon cans in racks. Very hard riding will get you about 5mpg on a SHO. Pretty much take that to the bank. The tank will hold exactly 18.3 gallons filled to the brim. I have got 100 miles on long smooth cruises but that is no fun so I don't do it very often. SHOs don't have a reserve tank and gas gauges are unreliable plus I hate the thought of mounting gas racks on the back so I put 2x 2 gallon cans in the forward storage. At first I though this might be dangerous but the new tanks are vapor locked and I haven't had a bit of trouble. I would like to get a poly gas tank from the marine salvage yard (motorcycle maybe) and fit it into the forward compartment for very long runs (Bimini or Keys from Naples) so that I can open a valve and let gas flow into the main tank gravity fed. Putting gas into the ski from cans at sea is difficult to say the least. I'll probably set that up in the spring.
    if you like doing the longer rides, it would definatly be worth fiting a freebie aux tank
    quite a few of my ride group have aux tanks.
    and they are trouble free and a great way to increase range

kev

Just did some long range riding at the mudbug, did about 90 miles and fuel light was on but made to to station with 2 gals left roughly. Seedoo guys were about out and on fumes, Honda rider was doing very well. Lots of WOT, cruise, and no wake. All stock SHO... I would expect 100 miles was no problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fx160 View Post
    if you like doing the longer rides, it would definatly be worth fiting a freebie aux tank
    quite a few of my ride group have aux tanks.
    and they are trouble free and a great way to increase range

kev
    +1. on the friebe fuel cell.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information