Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1

Lightbulb Ultra 300X Post Ride Maintenance

There have been a lot of questions around this and I have some myself.

First off, this is my maintenance routine once I get the ski off the boat ramp.

1. Pull the bungs and let any way drain (normal there is a drop but not much more).
    2. Start the ski and give it 2-3 revs to empty the waterbox then home (about 5 minutes from the ramp).
    3. Wash the outside of the ski, trailer electrical plug, wheels springs etc
    4. Pull the seats and wash the engine. I spray water everywhere, with my finger over the end of the hose making a fine spray. I pay particular attention trying to rinse the engine mounts
    5. I start the ski (clearing the fuel warning buzzer ) and connect this up:

6. With 75ml of "Salt Away" in the cup I let it run until it's almost clear (usually 5 minutes).
    6a. During 5 minutes I flick the throttle a few times making sure there isn't heaps of water in the waterbox.
    6b. I feel the exhaust and engine making sure it's not to hot. My water pressure is as per the manual. I like to see the same amount of water coming out the side as what I see when idling at the ramp (maybe a touch more, but that's just me).
    7. After about 5 minutes I pull the hose and immediately flick the throttle 3-4 times in about 10 seconds and then immediately shut the ski down.
    7a. Normally by the 3rd throttle flick I don't see any more water, I do see steam though.
    8. I then typically spray the engine and nuts/bolts with INOX (I used to use WD on the 2 Smoke but the 4's just have way to much rubber and wires to avoid).

That's normally it for me. If I'm going to leave it for a couple of weeks I'd spray Fogging Oil into the charger just before I pull the water.

Post up your maintenance.

Ok, my question is, the exhaust manifold gets HOT after only 2-3-4 throttle flicks (without water). I can touch it, but it's HOT. Not like a car exhaust, but hotter than I'm used to with my STX-R. Can anyone comment on this?

Mal.

Banned User
    +1
    That's pretty much the same as I do but I dont use salt away or anything like that. Have never seen a motor die of corrosion until i do I'll save the money and excess personal preference though.and also my boat never sits more then a week without being run. I use silicone spray also. Pretty much spray every thing but the belt of course. Rinse the pulley really well also. Also u prob did not just post it up but also rinse the intercooler for a few minutes as well via the silver port on the back motor off. and yes the exhaust manifold will get real hot real quick I normally will never run it for more then 5 seconds with no water. And never warm up the ski before puteing it in the water.

+1
    Yep, my "special" flushing kit diverts water to the intercooler at the same time. Notice the two outputs

I've never used "Salt Away" before (in 20 years of jetskiing) but after taking the exhaust off the STX-R after 5 years of riding I was surprised to see it there. It wasn't much and I doubt enough to cause any flow restriction but I thought I'd give this a try (I never had a problem with the STX-R, the exhaust was removed for mods).

I'm glad to hear when the exhaust gets hot on the 300X that it's normal. I was worried.

Cheers, Mal.

Banned User
    +1
    I hope your not flushing the intercooler while ski is running ?

+1
    Both the engine and the intercooler is being flushed at the same time. Why can't you flush the intercooler while the engine is running? Have I missed something?

+1
    Thanks Waz, I didn't see that thread when I had a man look.

What are your thoughts about flushing the engine and intercooler with the dual hose fitting I use?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    Both the engine and the intercooler is being flushed at the same time. Why can't you flush the intercooler while the engine is running? Have I missed something?
    Absolutely. U should not do that that's a cooling passage during engine operation. U are forcing water the wrong way. And the boat can not cool correctly nThere's even a little sticker on the back of the bOat to tell u and it's in the manual.I would def stop doing that.

+1
    mal i had the same setup on my 250 with the dual flush it was setup the same as the 300. ive never had a problem using a hot pressure washer inside the hull (used appropriatly)
    sorry tommy i tend to disagree the i/c is a a totally seperate unit and can be flushed either with or without the motor running its only a reverse flush no big deal
    the reason the sticker is there is to stop idiots from running the ski whilst they have one flush hose connected to the i/c and not the engine (surely that makes sense)
    the manifold doesnt get all that hot during a 15-20sec start up mid week without water. i do it this way to burn all water out. when that filter is hot is when its doing its job.
    i also stand the front of the trailer up for a few days to drain all the water out when its up i use the garden blower to blow all the water to the rear.
    during the week i lower the front (but first place a sponge infront of the motor) to then soak up the rest of the water left in the hull a day later i level the ski and check the oil level
    i spray everything with lanotec the motor and jet pump assembly, basically anything that moves.
    each to there own this maybe anal but has worked for me, btw a always taste the flushing water until all salt is gone

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Absolutely. U should not do that that's a cooling passage during engine operation. U are forcing water the wrong way. And the boat can not cool correctly nThere's even a little sticker on the back of the bOat to tell u and it's in the manual.I would def stop doing that.

I think that's there so the n00bs don't run water through the intercooler while the engine is running thinking it's cooling the engine.

Ok, you freaked me out so much that I checked the service manual. It's exactly the way I thought it was. Pretty much a single cooling line from the pump, through the cooler and out the "flush point". So the reverse doesn't do anything.

Dude, don't do that to me! I only open a 400 page service manual when I really really have to!

+1
    lmao off mal yer i think tommy needs to have a little think at what he posted the i/c only has an entry and exit, flushed with a hose only reverses the flow pop the seat tray and have a look tommy

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information