Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Any dirt or trail bike riders out there?

I've ridden motor cycles and quads in the past but have only ridden a dirt bike once or twice. I bought my 10 year old a Honda XL100 to start learning on and decided to get me a bike too. I found a YZ450F that I am about to buy. This bike will only be for trails and dry creek beds, not going to even think about the track. I know the 450 is 100% overkill for what I need but I figured I would rather have too much power than not enough.
    Any advice for does and dont's?

As my buddy learned over the weekend on my girlfriends quad, lean back while in the air. If not, it makes for a painful and expensive landing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1321809050717.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	259023  

+1
    Here is a great site also to find a bike. If you do not purchase that one.

http://www.bikefinds.com/

+1
    Kirk, I had one and hated it for the trails. It was just too much and i was in pretty damn good shape at the time. Maybe in a motocross race you could take advantage of that much torque of the 450 but trail riding it just wore me the hell out. My favorite and last bike was a WR250F with a good pipe and tune. Had a wide ratio box for lake beds and flat out and still had tuns of torque for fun. Trash the headlight and gay tail light fender for the regular 250f and just have fun on it.

+1
    Duke I'm with you on the 250. It is also lighter. Also having an electric start is very nice if you kill it on a hill or get stuck in the mud. Personally I love the headlight. Can't tell you how many times it has come in handy ie buddy gets a flat tire at the end of the day 10 miles away from camp then it gets dark out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    Duke I'm with you on the 250. It is also lighter. Also having an electric start is very nice if you kill it on a hill or get stuck in the mud. Personally I love the headlight. Can't tell you how many times it has come in handy ie buddy gets a flat tire at the end of the day 10 miles away from camp then it gets dark out.
    I agree but just couldn't leave it on there. if I needed a headlight I would get a slimline superbright LED or something.

I've owned way more dirtbikes then can count and ridden all my friends newest and greatest shit. The WR250 is by far my favorite. Very nimble, forgiving and fast!

+1
    Brings back memories. I had XR80's & 100's when I was your boy's age. Great bikes to learn on & will run forever with basic maintenance. I also had a faster 2-stroke YZ but usually ended up riding the XR because it was better for trail riding & playing in the mud.

I was looking into getting a bike a few months ago but figured I would have to buy one for the wife too, so I ended up with the Superjet. For you guys that are fmiliar with them, are there any differences in the motors from the WR's & YZF. I figured maybe a different cam and/or heavier flywheel on the WR to make the power more usable in trails but couldn't find much info on Yamaha's site.

+1
    Thanks for all the input guys, and especially Duke for all the texts. I went and road the 450 and it is a monster. It is a great deal and a super clean bike; I hate to turn away but I think it is too much for my lack of experience.
    I have been doing a lot or reading on the WR and TTR 250s and have a line on clean looking and good priced bikes for each.
    I'm going see the TTR first (bike has electric start) to take for a ride, then the WR (doesn't have electric start). Going to make the decision afterwards. I want the WR but no electric start has me bugging. I may just get the TTR to make sure this is something that I want to continue with full time, give it to the wife, then get me a WR with E/S.

+1
    dude... call me

you know we work on dirtbikes too .. lol

and I have owned a YZ450F and a WR250F

+1
    Have a ktm 450 sx/exc and wouldn't go back to yami or kawi. ES is great for anyone not concerned with the extra 20 lbs. Make life alot easier on the trails or hard spots if you stall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information