Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

gas in exhaust == bad ecu?

Low power and poor performance (reminded me of poor jetting on my dirtbike) coupled with milky exhaust that smelled like gas. We swapped the ecu with a friends and then exhaust water came out clean (but was never tested in the water since my lending friend is a bit touchy to say the least).

Should I bother doing any more troubleshooting or just start looking for an ecu? computer had obvious signs of water.

this is on a 2006 fx ho.
    6B6-8591A-20-00 Engine Control Unit, Assy.
    # on Unit is 6B6-20

(if you have or know of anything used, PM me).

+1
    Funny you say my lending friend is a bit touchy lol At least your friend took his ecu out to let you try it, I have had a friend that when it came to his stuff, he was NO friend. One way street lol

I can't really tell you if it is enough diagnosis or not, sorry! I would treat him for lunch or something if he lets you take it to the water for an hour of riding. That would be a better indication. Good luck!

its his second/spare ski... lunch might work haha.

+1
    He wouldn't let you take the ski out with his ECU after it was already plugged in? Weird. It's black box sealed with a silicone like material and made to withstand shock and being completely doused in water. Not like it's some ceramic nick-nack that your wife sets in the china cabinet for people to stare at. lol

Is there anyone else who you can swap ECUs with? It seems unlikely that the ECU is bad, but you never know. The simplest way to rule out that possibility is by water testing it with another. Is the ski mostly stock?

ski is fully stock with about 240 hours on it. Power went to shit and i noticed a strong gasoline smell. upon inspection I noticed at least one broken motor mount and thought that was causing some torque that was robbing it of power. Well, it was more like 4 broken MMs. After that I put it in the water and the gas smell was obvious and the engine was running poor again. MY buddy opened up the ECU and it looked like it had been submerged in water (rust line halfway through). This is strange since the boat has never been swamped. the issue happened before, so i changed the plugs to see if hat was the issue. next time i put it in, the gas smell was still there somewhat but the boat ran well. then the second time in after about 2 hours of riding was when it went bad again. New ecu seemed to have resolved the unburnt fuel in the exhaust, but other than that we couldn't tell much. Sucks since it's such an expensive part to replace. I'll see if i can find the pic of it...

+1
    240 hours isn't too many, espicially for a stock ski. I don't want to allarm you, but would you happen to have a compression tester handy? Usually lots of unburnt fuel is a sign that one of the cylinders may not be buring it all up. Could be ignition related which isn't bad at all. But it could also be low compression in one of the cylinders so since it's so easy to just throw a tester on there and do a quick compression check I usually do that right away to rule out any type of engine failure so I can breath easier.

Also... where are you located?

I'm in Hawaii and yes, cylinders were compression tested. Thing that irritates me is that i just had it in the local shop for a checkup (against my better judgment) and they missed the 3 broken mounts and the damaged ECU (although that was intermittent).

+1
    Sorry guys I dont know all to much about these ski's but that picture doesn't look like a ECU that looks like some kind of igintion box. Makes sence that if it looks rusty and wet like that and its causing inproper iginition on some of your cylinders that you have the symptoms you are discribing. That would also explain why if you change this box out with your buddy your ski runs fine.
    It looks like an igintion coil there on the right in the pic. So I guess the ecu would control this igintion box.

+1
    Missing the broken engine mounts is inexcusable but the ECU diagnosis is more involved. Are you doing sever wave jumping? How did you manage to break the engine mounts?
    Quote Originally Posted by stonezone View Post
    I'm in Hawaii and yes, cylinders were compression tested. Thing that irritates me is that i just had it in the local shop for a checkup (against my better judgment) and they missed the 3 broken mounts and the damaged ECU (although that was intermittent).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information