+1

yamaha gp1200r motor question.

Bought a 02 gpr with a sbt motor that had bad #1 piston and cylinder, pulled the motor bought a jug and piston used, was on my way to put it back together but found a 99 xl1200 with a good motor in it, Is is even worth it to put the sbt motor back in the gp I was thinking about swapping the motor from the xl, the xl motor is oem yamaha stock. I hear a lot of shit about sbt about no nikasil cylinders and crappy rods, the rods say sbt and the crank is welded, Also is there any difference in the 99 66v compared to the 2002 66v? thanks in advance guys, new to greenhulk.

same motors

+1
    Depending on hrs and condition of the two motors, I would pull both down and see what you have. Or compression/leakdown test. At least replace the crank seals on either before putting them back in.

+1
    I will say this: I bought an XXL with what ended up to be a SBT motor, almost new by internal and external appearance. I knew it had a bad #1 piston, but this motor had apparently lost a wrist pin circlip and the pin slid out and wreaked carnage. It has a welded crank with SBT rods, and 2 like new pistons/sleeved cylinders that survived. On #2 piston one circlip was almost all the way worked out, and under observation, about half of the circlips were installed wrong(rounded edge facing out). I cannot say SBT built it, because someone may have bought a top end kit and a crank separately. I would take a good orginal engine anytime, although that can be risky too.(you don't know what its been thru). I thought this engine was original by looking at it. NOTE: This new appearing engine had leaking front and rear seals so it would not have lasted long even if it had a good #1.

+1
    I agree I need to inspect both of them better, Im leaning towards the oem yamaha motor. thanks guys!

Thread Information