04 XP - Bad Motor??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xp1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	259257Picked this skiClick image for larger version. 

Name:	xp2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	259256 up last month because I thought it was too cheap.
    I was told the motor was bad, and they did take it apart. Looks like it is all there, but I have not pulled it out and verified it. I dont see trying to rebuild the existing motor.

What do you guys think - buy another motor or just part it out?
    What would you do for a motor?

This would just be an extra one so I am good either way.

Thanks for any input.

+1
    If the ski was running $2500 to $3500 is what it would be selling for. But the market is more like $1800 to $2500 now. What did you pay for the ski? I have seen running motors for $800 that you can throw in it. But your taking a chance on something like that. If you can rebuild the motor at lease you know what was done to it. If the cases are good. Looks like a nice ski. Good luck

lol - thats why I bought it. I picked it up for practically nothing - but they cant find the title. I have bill of sale, guess I could file for lost title or something. I really dont have much time to mess with it, I just couldnt pass on it.

+1
    Rebuilding what you know is wrong with it can cost less then a full rebuild. Doing a full rebuild if you don't want to make a project is cheaper then a new/used engine that works. You might be better off doing a full rebuild rather then parting and buying a new one; you won't get much for the parts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pbajeff View Post
    lol - thats why I bought it. I picked it up for practically nothing - but they cant find the title. I have bill of sale, guess I could file for lost title or something. I really dont have much time to mess with it, I just couldnt pass on it.
    I wouldn't put any money into it until the title sign off or resolved. As a kid I put a motor is a YZ 80 that I had bought. Later getting pull over by a cop, found out the bike was stolen and the cops just took it. No motor back to me. I guess I felt lucky they didn't hall me off to jail. Back in the day they didn't give out titles like they do now. If I had the money I put a 4-tec in it. Talk to you later.

4 Tec?? thats what I am looking for is ideas. In general - how involved/complicated would that be?

The title issue I am not worried about. I know the ski is not stolen or anything like that. I know the family that had it and bought it new. Everything was in the dads name who passed away last year. All their paperwork is in a helluva mess and they cant find hardly anything. The son wrote me the bill of sale. I am not going to hassle them about it. If I decide to do something with it, I will retitle it or something. I have a couple of other junked out skis that I papers on.

On a side note - keep your affairs in order folks. Something we never want to think about, but it can happen at anytime and the ones left behind can be left in a bind.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pbajeff View Post
    4 Tec?? thats what I am looking for is ideas. In general - how involved/complicated would that be?

The title issue I am not worried about. I know the ski is not stolen or anything like that. I know the family that had it and bought it new. Everything was in the dads name who passed away last year. All their paperwork is in a helluva mess and they cant find hardly anything. The son wrote me the bill of sale. I am not going to hassle them about it. If I decide to do something with it, I will retitle it or something. I have a couple of other junked out skis that I papers on.

On a side note - keep your affairs in order folks. Something we never want to think about, but it can happen at anytime and the ones left behind can be left in a bind.
    Sorry to hear about the death. A 4-tec motor out of a newer seadoo. I think it would be allot of work. Here is a you tub video of one.

Getting a 4-tec in there would be a big project.

Post pix of the motor what happened to it?

Thread Information