1999 Polaris SLH trim

Just picked up a pair of 99 SLH skis. Winter here so I'm limited in what I can do in terms of testing them, but I'm trying to make sure everything works. Trim doesn't work so I pulled the motor out of one of them. Seems to be pretty well seized up. Applying power to the motor terminals does nothing but make sparks, So it appears the motor or the gearbox is bad. While I had it apart I checked to see if there is power to the motor from the switch and there was none. I checked some old posts on this site, and I read a couple that said the trim on some models will not work unless the engine is running. Is this true for a 99 SLH? Does the engine need to be running for the trim to work?

Yes the trim only works when you start or push the ignition to give power to the box. Take the trim motor apart and clean it up you may be able to get it working again.

+1
    you need to hold the bilge button at the same time as the trim button to get it to operate

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by drwet View Post
    Just picked up a pair of 99 SLH skis. Winter here so I'm limited in what I can do in terms of testing them, but I'm trying to make sure everything works. Trim doesn't work so I pulled the motor out of one of them. Seems to be pretty well seized up. Applying power to the motor terminals does nothing but make sparks, So it appears the motor or the gearbox is bad. While I had it apart I checked to see if there is power to the motor from the switch and there was none. I checked some old posts on this site, and I read a couple that said the trim on some models will not work unless the engine is running. Is this true for a 99 SLH? Does the engine need to be running for the trim to work?
    I had a pretty corroded up gear box and was able to disassemble, de-rust, un-muck, grease, and successfully reassemble. Takes patience and can be quite a jigsaw puzzle putting all the gears back in the correct order, but doable.

Thread Information