Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Intake Grate & Impeller for a Stock '04 RXP.

Hey guys, I've been doing a lot of reading that last few days on the site. I've got the mod bug and want to start modifying my RXP. It's a '04 RXP with about 170hrs. Looking to start with either a Solas impeller and intake grate. Which pitch for the Impeller? Which Intake Grate? Being off the West FL, it gets choppy often and glasses out during the summer months. Any advice will greatly be appreciated. thanks

+1
    Okay so i'd go with either a R&D or riva grate, riva is faster R&D does better in chop. Only ridden riva personally. As for impeller i'd go with a 14/19R.

+1
    What does 14/19R stand for? Diameter/Pitch?

+1
    yeah its the pitch. the 14/19R is the riva stage 1 impeller and its what im running right now and love it compared to the stock one. BTW next mod should be an intake like the fizzle intake. All the parts can be found in the classifieds or the online store.

Quote Originally Posted by oct6454 View Post
    Okay so i'd go with either a R&D or riva grate, riva is faster R&D does better in chop. Only ridden riva personally. As for impeller i'd go with a 14/19R.
    +1

My first mods were 14/19 with riva grate and then my lovely SS wear ring perfect for an otherwise bone stock RXP

+1
    What performance gains will I see with the 14/19? Less Pitch? Giving me more RPM's?

+1
    Get those exhaust valves changed out as they were prone to break if it hasn't already been done. I'd get those changed before adding more power.

+1
    Exhuast Valves as in the Valve-train?

Quote Originally Posted by BallaRXP View Post
    Exhuast Valves as in the Valve-train?
    Yea he's talking literally about the exhaust valves themselves. From what I understand and have read, the "valve issue" with these earlier motors seems to be very hit-or-miss. My '05 motor never had a problem with valves but i only put 80hrs on that one. I messed it up and had to replace the entire long block. With my new seadoo-issue motor, i have yet to confirm the year of the valves I have today (which now have 140 hrs on them).

Quote Originally Posted by BallaRXP View Post
    What performance gains will I see with the 14/19? Less Pitch? Giving me more RPM's?
    No...with a stock ECU, you only want to run "stock max RPMs"!!

Im not an expert at the whole pitch thing.....never studied it in detail, but Im quite sure its simple enough.
    But the basic idea is that you want to run an impeller that will spin the motor to whatever max RPM that matches your engine's capabilities/set-up.
    So, if you have a bone stock motor, then you only want a pitch that will spin your motor to the full 8100-8150ish RPMs. You dont want to install an impeller that will spin too little or too high of the bone stock ECU/valvetrain capabilities.

With a modified motor pushing more power up top, you'll want an impeller that will push, and keep up with the "new" capabilities of the motor.....so as to take full advantage of this new power.

A "crazy" aftermarket pitch wont do shit for you on a stock engine/HP/RPMs etc....14/19s seem to do very well on a stock motor with all the free mods. Add boost, IC, and ECU, etc, etc...and you'll then require a certain pitch to maximize all those mods.

It's the same principal as picking the optimal rear-end gear ratio for a sports car to be running at it's best at the end of the 1/4mile per its engine/tranny mods. You dont want it to run out of steam too early, nor have it winding out too early!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information