Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetsuit??

Wetsuit??

I usually only ride during the summer and have never purchased a wetsuit/drysuit - do not even know where to start. This year I can not stand to go months on end without riding. Any suggestions on what to buy when riding during the winter months in Texas? Wetsuit vs Drysuit?? Full or partial?? I need to stay warm!!!

+1
    Madam, always good to see you post up. First, you do not need a dry suit; a wet suit will do you fine. Do yourself a favor and go to your local dive shop to insure a good fit. Also, I recommend not getting one that zips up from the back side. I would suggest you get a shorty-farmer john combo. Either will do depending on the weather and you can always wear both when it's needed.

+1
    In Texas? All you need is a "Float Jacket", some dirt-bike pants, and a street-bike helmet.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Surviv.../dp/B002N5M5ZS
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+pants&x=0&y=0

I know it sounds like a strange combo, but it's by far the most comfortable, warm, and adjustable, of anything I've used in the southern climates. If the altitude climbs, you need to get more serious gear.

+1
    Before my wet suits all shrank, I would actually get pretty hot wearing one. I would even get in the water sometimes to cool off. I now usually just get by with a pair of running/wind pants and a Under Armour cold gear lond sleeve shirt.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    You'll sweat to death in a full wetsuit in TX. Underamour coldgear top and windpants or coldgear pants and you'll be fine.

I'm in Dallas and my wife and I have ridden in the winter months with shorty (sort leg, short sleeve) wetsuits. We try not to get too crazy but our feet and hands really get cold. This year I picked up full wetsuits from a member on here along with the bootys and gloves. Unfortunately haven't had a chance to try them on the water yet.

The shortys are pretty cheap, you can get them at Sams or Dicks for ~$40. The full length ones are probably going to cost you $150 - $250. Would definitely see if you could find a local store to at least try them on.

Edit: On another note, I regularly wear the shortys in the summer also. Yes you get warm if you don't keep wet but it's easier to put on than sunscreen, you only have to cover forearms, face, knees down, etc and they're all easy places to get. Skin cancer is no joke.

-Brad

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy89 View Post
    You'll sweat to death in a full wetsuit in TX. Underamour coldgear top and windpants or coldgear pants and you'll be fine.
    +1.
    The most important items to keep warm are your hands and feet.

+1
    check out the cyclegear victor moto cross pants, on sale for $39.99 till jan 2nd, i bought a set last week, should work just fine for here in central florida !!!! http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/search/...rcycle%20Pants

Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    Madam, always good to see you post up. First, you do not need a dry suit; a wet suit will do you fine. Do yourself a favor and go to your local dive shop to insure a good fit. Also, I recommend not getting one that zips up from the back side. I would suggest you get a shorty-farmer john combo. Either will do depending on the weather and you can always wear both when it's needed.
    Thanks Billy. I miss everyone there!! Hope you are doing good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TXSPORTSWOMN View Post
    Thanks Billy. I miss everyone there!! Hope you are doing good.
    Except me... HA HA HA HA

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information