Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1

Riva cooling kit for their IC

So for those that have bumped from stock boost with a Riva cooler.......... Have any of you installed Rivas cooling kit and NOT had GIO problems?? Just doing some looking and the search wasnt too much help to me. I did see quite a few that went R&D and had some GIO problems but that was about it. Post up!
    Last edited by jtskier11; 12-02-2011 at 06:33 PM.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    So for those that have bumped from stock boost with a Riva cooler.......... Have any of you installed Rivas cooling kit and NOT had GIO problems?? Just doing some looking and the search wasnt too much help to me. I did see quite a few that went R&D and had some GIO problems but that was about it. Post up!

Yea i want to try the riva intercooling kit for my stock setup, its up there in price

sorry for my ignorance but what is GIO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by peterj59 View Post
    sorry for my ignorance but what is GIO
    Gas in oil. It has occurred a few times when swapping ICs and adding cooling lines.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Gas in oil. It has occurred a few times when swapping ICs and adding cooling lines.
    Yup, from having things way too cold.

+1
    Wow, my thread went from talking about Rivas cooling kit to how shitty the SHO engine is. Would somebody delete/close this please.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpilot785 View Post
    Lets go back and see what you really asked? You are asking about adding additional cooling, GIO issues and you want people to post it up. So that has happened. You also went from asking about GIO to the very next post confirming you think it is from too much cooling. So my question to you is if you know so much about the subject and how it happens, then why start a thread on it if you already think you know the answers?

Next topic, noone ever said the engine was junk. It was simply stated it had a downfall and that the ring seals on alot of them are not what they are supposed to be. I researched all of this and still went with Yamaha over any other brand because they are still one of the best marine engines in the industry IMO. Every other manufacturer has there issues as well and it comes down to personal preference and even though this engine has this particular issue, it is still reliable and a great base engine to upgrade and not have to worry about a whole lot.
    I wanted somebody who has actually installed Rivas cooling kit with a Riva intercooler to respond! Dont bring your shit to my thread. You didnt add a thing in here that helped me a single bit.

+1
    Hello there buddy,

If it helps I have had the Riva intercooliner with their engine cooling kit for about 20 hours and haven't had any GIO. The key to their kit working out is how they T off the dedicated intercooler cooling line to feed the oil cooler and that gives the oil cooler JUST enough water to keep it at the ideal operating temperatures. You will be in good shape as long as you follow their instructions. Good luck and take care, Julio...

Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    Hello there buddy,

If it helps I have had the Riva intercooliner with their engine cooling kit for about 20 hours and haven't had any GIO. The key to their kit working out is how they T off the dedicated intercooler cooling line to feed the oil cooler and that gives the oil cooler JUST enough water to keep it at the ideal operating temperatures. You will be in good shape as long as you follow their instructions. Good luck and take care, Julio...
    We really have to qualify the statement about cooling, there are cooling kits for the intercooler and cooling kits for the motor. Increased cooling for the intercooler should not result in GIO.

I bought the riva cooling kit, but, chose not to do the engine cooling. I used the parts and did a line from a new thru-hull to the intercooler.

Thread Information