Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    4,328
    +1
    12

    Yamaha Rubrail Alternatives

    Has anyone out there found a way to ditch the fat ugly stock rubrails? I know Dan Okeefe (JD 1) did it a while back on his white FZR. It looked awesome. I know one of the issues is that when you remove the two front gray bumpers that look like fangs, there are indentions underneath that don't look very good.

    I think if I could find some other stuff similar to the Sea Doo rubrails to run around the ski then I could have the corner bumpers made out of black carbon fiber and have them cleared. Of course they wouldn't hold up well as bumpers, but I am hardly ever around docks anymore.

    Would like to do something like that or if anyone knows of a way to turn all the bumpers black and still have them be pretty durable that would be nice. I just think they are ugly and want to change them somehow.

    I'll try and dig up pics of JD1's old white FZR. It looked pretty damn good.


  2. #2
    KamikazeGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,361
    +1
    99
    This is the only sho/fz(same rails) i've ever seen with the fangs removed and dimples filled in and the rub rails replaced.. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...48#post1753048

  3. #3
    hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    4,328
    +1
    12
    And DAMN does that look awesome...

  4. #4
    hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    4,328
    +1
    12
    So does anyone have any input/advise or places to buy alternate rubrails? I want to get rid of mine so bad I may just deal with the dimples underneath the big plastic pieces.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    423
    +1
    7
    this might end up looking dumb, but last time I was at discount auto parts, they sold Carbon Fiber look-a-like vinyl adhesive sheets. It was actually pretty good looking. I think it was the same stuff Leo used on his ski, and it looked good. You could cut it into 3-4 inch strips and line it along the old rub rail area. If you want, you could put a black door gaurd on the edge first, and then put the adhesive over it.

  6. #6
    stangbang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    844
    +1
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    So does anyone have any input/advise or places to buy alternate rubrails? I want to get rid of mine so bad I may just deal with the dimples underneath the big plastic pieces.
    Call farthing you dimwit! Remember the vxr he had?

  7. #7
    JD 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    4,186
    +1
    90
    Lenda Products in Fenton Mo.
    (636) 717-1500
    part# CM44
    cost is about $45.

    Problem with it is: when you remove the factory rubrails you will notice where they were rubbing on the paint. These will not buff out so paint will be needed, then that opens up bigger can of worms...

    If you have a brand new ski or a freshly painted ski it works great.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southern Florida
    Posts
    5,589
    +1
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by stangbang View Post
    Call farthing you dimwit! Remember the vxr he had?
    He never listens

  9. #9
    Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    9,202
    +1
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    I think if I could find some other stuff similar to the Sea Doo rubrails
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    So does anyone have any input/advise
    Yeah.....sell your log, and buy a real ski. Problem solved!


  10. #10
    hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    4,328
    +1
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
    this might end up looking dumb, but last time I was at discount auto parts, they sold Carbon Fiber look-a-like vinyl adhesive sheets. It was actually pretty good looking. I think it was the same stuff Leo used on his ski, and it looked good. You could cut it into 3-4 inch strips and line it along the old rub rail area. If you want, you could put a black door gaurd on the edge first, and then put the adhesive over it.
    I think I'm going to do exactly that on all the gray parts of the hood, but going to have someone do it for me so there's no wrikles/bubbles.

    Quote Originally Posted by stangbang View Post
    Call farthing you dimwit! Remember the vxr he had?
    I can't remember what it looked like? Was that the one with the Procharger or Votech on it? I want to see some pics.

    Quote Originally Posted by JD 1 View Post
    Lenda Products in Fenton Mo.
    (636) 717-1500
    part# CM44
    cost is about $45.

    Problem with it is: when you remove the factory rubrails you will notice where they were rubbing on the paint. These will not buff out so paint will be needed, then that opens up bigger can of worms...

    If you have a brand new ski or a freshly painted ski it works great.
    Awesome info Dan. I may just end up painting them with the most durable paint I can find. Not sure I want to strip the ski completely down to have it painted.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    Yeah.....sell your log, and buy a real ski. Problem solved!

    Are you lost???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ***NEW*** Another ECU Alternative for Yamaha Skis
    By Green Hulk in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-14-2013, 07:56 PM
  2. Having fun on the Ultra and Frank jumping his Yamaha
    By Enufpwr in forum Videos & Pictures
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 09:05 AM
  3. I now have a Yamaha forum
    By Green Hulk in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 11:02 AM
  4. New Yamaha Models
    By JFizzleJR in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 10:44 AM
  5. 2006 Yamaha's
    By boataddict in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 04:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •