Throtle Body issues

Has anyone in saltwater use had the throtle body get stuck on a stock machine?
    I have seen this on three '05 models, 2 RXT's one RXP, pull it apart and found oil and salt in the intake, butterfly stuck.
    Oil in the intake is kinda normal, salt in the intake of an RXP one could say is possible if the user plows into a couple of waves but on a RXT I find this a little harder the front section is blocked off, any ideas

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i've got 85 hours of salt water use on my RXT.... nose plowing, wave jumping, really choppy water out in the middle of the atlantic... i have not seen anything like this...

one thing i do need to do is pull my intake off and check for oil, have yet to pull it off since i've owned it... but i can't report any problems with the throttle body or anyhting for that matter... i've been pinned at 8100 RPMS and GPSing 66-67 mph consistently... i am very anal about flushing, rinsing, lubricating, and soaking the motor and components with bombarider lube and salt away and from time to time figging the system sut to fully dilute salt and lubricate everything... but i can't see how even taht normal maintenace would effect the throttle body since that's all before the block and i don't touch anything between the air intake and the manifold.

+1
    Salt can find it's way into the most unlikely places. I used to live on LI and the ocean and bay seemed almost like fresh water compared to how salty it is here in FL. I imagine the water in the Caymans is probably similiar to FL. Unless I'm using a demo boat. I limit my trips to the lakes and rivers. Salt is just too destructive on equipment.

Richard

It seems to be coming from the air system, there's alot of white stuff (Salt) in the SC.
    Richard water is very similar to Florida in my opinion a little saltier.
    Shibby I also have a few hours on my RXT and nothing like this is visible, these customers complained about the throtle sticking, I just cannot figure out how in the hell the water is getting in there.

The salt can stay in the air. On boats I've built, we've had to replace guage brackets and most metal parts that are exposed to the ocean air even without direct contact with water. I imagine that in the throttle body, it gets trapped in the oil from your breather and gets depostied in the blade of the throttle body. It rusts when it sits.....

Just an idea, but it could just need to be flushed or lubricated after using it.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    exactly... doens't even take wate.r.. jsut the air deposits salt... it's amazing after a day of rdiing even on completely smooth water and no jumping and not getting wet... take the seat off and all the plastics and stuff u can visibly see a caoting of salt all over.... it's jsut in the air and under the seat is moving so much air in and out that it jsut pulls that salt air in with it...

kinda makes me think even stock skis need an air filter!! all those salt deposits and salt crystals in the air just getting sucked thru the motor all the time, yuck...

+1
    I've had my throttle body out 2 times to clean up the butterfly, where corrosion had it stuck shut. I ride salt water 95% of the time with an 04' RXP. I have to take out the plate, and lightly sand it down and WD-40 it every so often.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    Just a lil reminder when sanding on your throttlebody, never sand the outer sealing edge of the butterfly even a little bit. It's sealing properties are very important for proper idling. I've messed with many throttlebodies in my time with plenty of trial and error. Good luck with the corrosion problem.

here in israel most of us riding in salt water,and it is hapend alot of times
    to people that did not ride for few weeks.
    can be replaced under under warranty.

+1
    Tell me about salt in the air. I live right on the coast and the house windows always look like to rim on a margarita glass. Even stainless deck screws turn to rust ! A car lasts 3 years before it's a rust bucket.

Richard

Thread Information