2001 Seadoo GTX free was sitting for 2 years with water in hull CRAZY STORY!!!

Hey all.

So I just got my 12th free jet ski this year, haha, yes 12th. I'm not going to say they've all been beauties, but it's allowed me to make a little over $6000 in the process and I've decided to keep one along with the free shorelander trailer. The owner of this ski was murdered by her boyfriend, and then he killed himself. The owner was good enough to work with me and the state to get the proper documentation, death certificate, and other info to title it over to me. The owner's brother let it sit in a field for two years as he was too distraught to do anything with it, and he gave it to me under the condition I fix it up. I can abide that, so where to begin? When I got the ski, it has about 6-7 inches of water in the engine compartment, and when I try to start it just goes click. The gauges work when I connect a battery, but engine won't turn over. I was going to look immediately with to the starter, replace that, and then see how bad the engine is. Would anything else like the impeller shaft, or I see a where there is a fitting for marine grease. Am I going to have to worry about the crank shaft being submerged? I was going to replace the starter, and then go from there. I'm not pulling an engine before I do a few presteps. Thanks for the help.

+1
    If it was submerged in water for that long, you may be able to salvage it. The parts usually rust when they come in contact with water and mix with air to start the rust process. Remove the rest of the water from hull, remove starter and spark plugs and manually turn the engine until it spews the rest of the water that may be in the cases/cylinders. Also check the jet pump cone for water inside. You'll have to most likely split everything to remove all the water. Can we get some pictures?

+1
    She is shagged mate you will have to tear it down and a new rebuild is in order.Rust starts under water eventually no matter if air is present or not .2 years is along time hopefully all the studs/bolts come out without breaking.Heat can loosen them,I have sat complete motors in a bath of CRC for 72 hrs and eventually it penetrates everywhere so as to help tear it down.The Electric Box has to be removed and gone through and remove any deposits of rust and moisture.Remove the fuell, blow out all the lines that's Fuel/Air/Vacuum and Check the grounds.You will probably have water in the starter so that has to be inspected,the Magneto and pick up as well.Lots of things to do to get this going.

Oh and I forgot , check the oil pump for corrosion along with water in the lines.

+1
    "but it's allowed me to make a little over $6000 in the process ".....Really...........so I guess you'll be reporting that as income right? Us auditor folks get a little picky about that sort of thing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    "but it's allowed me to make a little over $6000 in the process ".....Really...........so I guess you'll be reporting that as income right? Us auditor folks get a little picky about that sort of thing.

+1
    I can't believe it....5 days and no takers?? Am I the only one with a sense of humor around here? I thought that right thur was funny y'all!

Thread Information