Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

some very rich piston wash..what do you think

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	712 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	259758here's recent pic of my pistons...this is a stock engine with a fuel controller set 5616 milled head 150psi and a reflash with advance timing and better fuel curve...always 93 oct running oil injection with adding additional 1/2 oz of oil per gallon .. i has 116 hrs...

Runs ABSOLUTELY PERFECT... hand turning the driveshaft cyl walls look perfect... but comp ck showed lost about 6-8 psi in cyl3...gonna port and change rings soon...

+1
    Those pistons have been soaked! Remember to pull the ex studs on #2 before you send them.

your using a Riva Fuel controller with the R1 R&D reflash? Is this a new tuning technique that we don`t know about? Is this something that those of us who have the reflash should also do? and is this recommended by R&D? please share...

number 3 will be lower by a few psi, and if your head was cut correctly, normal...

BUMP^

+1
    Is it okay to add 1/2 oz of oil per gallon like he is doing? Is there a benefit or any harm? I still run oil injection and wondering if I should do this?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCanuck View Post
    Is it okay to add 1/2 oz of oil per gallon like he is doing? Is there a benefit or any harm? I still run oil injection and wondering if I should do this?

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69582

this is one of the stickys on the 2 stroke performance that I strongly follow...Jim's right on the money and if I learned anything on this site regarding 2 strokes..better to be rich than to be lean...IF your using the Riva or R&D fuel controller, your not compensating for more fuel with additional oil that you now should have...

OR if you are soley running a R&D Reflashed ECU you don`t need a fuel controller! If there are special needs for a different tune, I`m sure a phone call to R&D would correct that. I`ve NEVER heard of anyone else running both the ECU and the Riva fuel controller. The picture above is a PERFECT example of over fueling a 2 stroke, to the point where it would cost top end speed and RPM`s.

There are many guidelines here on the forums. It is up to the reader/operator to fully understand what works for them.
    Obviously not the case in this scenario.

Jim has provided excellent feedback on what works for him. he does reside in a very hot climate, a cool engine is a happy engine indeed.
    But, individual requirements are different, some do and some don`t. everything plays a role in proper oiling. The older skis had a lower WOT ratio compared to the EFI ski`s. so it is all in the research one does to meet the needs of ones ski!, BTW thanks JIM!...

This reflash from R&D is something new that came to late for the GPR crowd. I know I can effectively comment on it`s use in my personal ski and understand why and where R&D made the changes. To educate others we are still waiting for a reply from the OP on if he was directed by R&D or another source to add fuel, necessitating adding more oil in his case, but what are the reasons so we all can share and learn! Tuning is not something you read. You read about tuning to achieve a starting point and tune your ski as necc for optimum performance. Some know and some don`t...

people be careful in what you learn, adding more oil displaces fuel, hence making it LEANER!!!....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    OR if you are soley running a R&D Reflashed ECU you don`t need a fuel controller! If there are special needs for a different tune, I`m sure a phone call to R&D would correct that. I`ve NEVER heard of anyone else running both the ECU and the Riva fuel controller. The picture above is a PERFECT example of over fueling a 2 stroke, to the point where it would cost top end speed and RPM`s.

There are many guidelines here on the forums. It is up to the reader/operator to fully understand what works for them.
    Obviously not the case in this scenario.

Jim has provided excellent feedback on what works for him. he does reside in a very hot climate, a cool engine is a happy engine indeed.
    But, individual requirements are different, some do and some don`t. everything plays a role in proper oiling. The older skis had a lower WOT ratio compared to the EFI ski`s. so it is all in the research one does to meet the needs of ones ski!, BTW thanks JIM!...

This reflash from R&D is something new that came to late for the GPR crowd. I know I can effectively comment on it`s use in my personal ski and understand why and where R&D made the changes. To educate others we are still waiting for a reply from the OP on if he was directed by R&D or another source to add fuel, necessitating adding more oil in his case, but what are the reasons so we all can share and learn! Tuning is not something you read. You read about tuning to achieve a starting point and tune your ski as necc for optimum performance. Some know and some don`t...
    doesn't need a fuel controller?....thats strange since Glenn at R&D in our discussions on the reflash talked about my settings even though its a Riva controller which he is quite familiar with...read somewhere that R&D might even make or helped in the design as opposed to there own Powershot controller

Mine runs great..a little rich but great....seen too too many lean seized pistons on GH for me....

Doesn`t matter what R&D did for Riva, the question is> did R&D specifically instruct you to use the fuel controller along with their tune? and what was their recommendation? The controller adds fuel, The reflash has changes to optimize what the GPR should be, so why would you add the same amount of fuel as if you were running the GPR alone on the controller. I would have found this to be believable if your fine tuned settings were more like 1211, or similar just bc you might need more fuel in one certain area. The reflash alone does an excellent job of supplying the engine as it demands.

I haven`t seen to many seized EFI 1300 ski`s due to fueling. Even the OEM maps do an excellent job for stock ski`s. mostly oil related issues or when people mod/port/1390 and don`t tune correctly.

sooo, good luck with your ported project and the new ski!

IMHO: motor doesn`t looked cared for at all, it also looks like the pistons were wiped with a rag and or maybe some solvent before the pic was taken. This is really not the best way to determine the exact wash as when the head was first removed, but possible. Cyl 2 looks leaner than 1 and 3.
    so what`s in store for the Ported motor? removing the engine? splitting the cases? installing new seals? checking out the crank? 1211? getting all new hardware as the clamps and bolts look like %^&$?
    start a build thread so we all can watch and learn...

+1
    WOW! You could probably lean it out a bit... There is no way that motor was running perfect....Missing a few hundred rpm's I'm sure... lol.

Dave, pull the motor and go through everything. Clean everything up and get rid of that nasty corrosion/rust. Do it right and you'll only have to do it once. Don't shortcut it. Make sure you pressure test the motor when it's all back together and listen to Woody when it comes to tuning it.

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information