reason for removing accelerator pump on gp1200r

ok so ive seen a few people talking about removing the accelerator pump off there gp1200r's . So what i want to know is what is the purpose of this ?

+1
    On a 66v engine, the Mikuni 44"I" carburetors develope a lean spot in them in the mid range (about 4700 to 5600 rpms). The accellerator pump adds a squirt of fuel into the carbs while you are going from low to high rpms to help reduce the chance of detonation when you go through this lean spot.

Many have removed the accellerator pump (and the stock flame arrestor which is very restrictive as well), rejetted the carbs and changed the needle & seat & spring (this changes the pop off pressure) and added free breathing aftermarket flame arrestors. It gives you a crisper throttle response, and opens the door for other modifications because you can increase the amount of fuel being delivered should you need it.

This is a mod that you should not do unless you are fully committed to it. In other words, you cannot just remove the accellerator pump and expect any positive changes. You must remove all of the stock components described and reinstall/adjust all of the aftermarket components. To do any half measures puts your engine at risk.

ok so if i were to remove the acc pump what size jets will i be needing ? and with the pop off pressure what does that even mean and how does a pop of guage tester work ive always wanted to know ?

+1
    All the instructions are listed in the "How To and FAQ" section, under GRP/XLT Carb Upgrade\Accell pump removal

Thread Information