Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

any suggestions on making my rxp stronger?

Hello, i'm an amateur rider and new to jetskiing, i bought a used 04 rxp about a year ago and had non-stop problems. My valve dropped recently and since the motor has been taken out, im looking to replace parts to make it stronger and try to protect the ski from further problems. OEM steel washers have already been installed. the 06+ flywheel bolts have been ordered, and i'm now unsure whether to get OEM/Riva/ferrea valve sets, and whether it should be standard or oversized?

Any opinions on experiences with these valves and any other suggestions to bulletproof the ski would be really appreciated

+1
    I'd go with standard size gen 2 Ferrea valves. Riva and Ferrea are the same thing. If you go with the oversize valves, I believe the valve relief in the piston has to be cut.

The 04/05 valves have been known to drop into the engine if the engine has been neglected. Regular fogging will avoid this. (and the valves 04/05 will last just as long)

If you put in Ferrea valves that will fix the problem, but you need to fog the engine after you ride it to protect the valves from rusting. There are many articles about this.

If you have dropped a valve, you have damaged the bore and you will need to get it checked. I had mine honed at an engine shop (after I bought a ski with a dropped valve) and found that the hone did not touch some of the surface of the cylinder. Check this, if its ok you will save on pistons.
    It starts to get expensive as once you open the engine, you will change the rings, valves, bearings, mod for the oil jet, oil valve mod for the supercharger etc etc.

Have a look what I did here:-

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161992

Good luck.

@pandan, thanks for the advice, im ordering the Ferrea standered valves off pwc-performance and have them installed. I saw the damage to the bore, the dealership mentioned they'll do some metal work on it and hone it. other than, metal washers, stronger valves and flywheel bolts do u know of any other parts that commonly cause disasters? im not a rough rider but the ski is old although its only at (100hr).

While you have it apart, change the Cylinder head Oil Jet on the block under the head and the Oil mod for the supercharger

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=387

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2192.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	259847

These are cheap mods and helps with the lubrication

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by pandan9 View Post
    While you have it apart, change the Cylinder head Oil Jet on the block under the head and the Oil mod for the supercharger

These are cheap mods and helps with the lubrication

Hope that helps.
    I just wanted to clarify that this mod doesn't do anything for a stock ski. It is only useful if you plan to go with a high boost supercharger at some point in the future. It only helps with SC washer cooling, not lubrication. Stock superchargers don't have an issue with washer cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by pandan9 View Post
    If you put in Ferrea valves that will fix the problem, but you need to fog the engine after you ride it to protect the valves from rusting.
    Fogging is always a good idea, but I need to clarify that the original valves were made of a brittle material that corroded easily, whereas the Ferrea valves are made from Inconel, which is tough rather than brittle, and resistant to corrosion. The seats will corrode and dissolve before the Ferrea valves get to the danger point of corrosion-induced cracking.

I once bought an '08 head that the engine was trashed from water ingestion sitting in the cylinders. The intake valves, and both exhaust and intake seats, were a corroded mess, but the OEM exhaust valves had no corrosion at all on them.

i've looked about on the forum trying to look for more idea's on more reliable parts to install while the engine's out. I am only running stock, so about 7600-7800 rmp/68mph. All i want is to try to ensure less big failures in the future. So could som1 clarify some of these mods for reliability/longevity?

riva head gaskets/block guards - but apparently only effective at higher levels of boost?
    blow-off valve - but said to be only really useful on X chargers and 8500+rpms.
    replace oem steel washers with mcmaster/riva washers?
    Arp head studs?
    what should i do for better lubrication? Pandan mentioned Cylinder Head Oil Pressure Jet?

really appreciate any response's.. as i said i only research the forum but have no experience.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Sperinck View Post
    i've looked about on the forum trying to look for more idea's on more reliable parts to install while the engine's out. I am only running stock, so about 7600-7800 rmp/68mph. All i want is to try to ensure less big failures in the future. So could som1 clarify some of these mods for reliability/longevity?

riva head gaskets/block guards - but apparently only effective at higher levels of boost?
    blow-off valve - but said to be only really useful on X chargers and 8500+rpms.
    replace oem steel washers with mcmaster/riva washers?
    Arp head studs?
    what should i do for better lubrication? Pandan mentioned Cylinder Head Oil Pressure Jet?

really appreciate any response's.. as i said i only research the forum but have no experience.
    -Riva/Ferrea valve upgrade (cheaper then oem)
    -new flywheel stretch bolts
    -08 and up shaft upgrade kit for charger

You will also need oem stretch bolts and oem gaskets as required for rebuild. The above suggestions are not required or suggested for stock rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    -Riva/Ferrea valve upgrade (cheaper then oem)
    -new flywheel stretch bolts
    -08 and up shaft upgrade kit for charger

You will also need oem stretch bolts and oem gaskets as required for rebuild. The above suggestions are not required or suggested for stock rebuild.
    I've order the riva valves, flywheel stretch bolts.. but i don't understand what the "08 and up shaft upgrade kit for charger" is.. i checked on the forums but couldn't really figure out what it is or does.. sorry for the dumb question.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information