+1

Got Lucky - But removing the intake grate?

Hey guys. I was at the lake yesterday. All was going great until I heard a repeating thwack coming from under the hull. I quickly cut my speed and the motor revs back to an idle, shook my ski in the water a bit, but it didn't clear. I headed to port at a whopping 5km/hr.

I got in, trailed my ski (2011 Sea-Doo GTI 155 LTD) out of the water. The steering nozzle and back end of the pump was clear and seemed fine. I crawled underneath and found the issue. There was a stick that gotten past the intake grate and jammed between the impeller and wear ring! Must have been a floater and I didn't see it - I was in deep waters. My heart sank and I feared the worse - impeller and ring replacement and large shop bills for labor. But I headed home to my garage to have a closer look where I had access to my tools.

With only a slight application of pull with some pliers (didn't even have to remove the intake grate) the soft stick was freed. I took a close look the impeller and wear ring from both sides with a flashlight and everything is fine - no dents, no bends, no chips. I went back to the lake for a test ride and all is well. There is no thwacking, no vibration and acceleration and top speed is the same. So, no damage that I can tell. Got lucky I think!

Looking back I was thinking if I had increased throttle and tried to clear the pump/impeller when I first noticed it on the water I may have damaged my ski - forcing the entire stick through the impeller. Thoughts?

So, in cases that are more difficult then pulling debris out with pliers, what do you guys recommend? Can the intake grate be easily taken off by just unscrewing/unbolting the screw/bolts holding in place? Is there anything special that needs to be consider when taking off the intake grate for the sole purpose of getting access to clean debris (or just look at or check) out of the impeller?

Thanks for your time in advance for replies on this thread.
    Cheers.

from past experience, those intake grate bolts don't come off that easy especially after a few years. I like to back the bolts out a bit and retighten them at mid season and at the end of the season.I dont use any loc-tite nor anti seize.I caught fishing line wrapped around the drive shaft on both skis this past summer and on my spx the grate came out with ease but the rxp(bought used this summer) i ended up stripping the heads on the one bolt. but you were fortunate in your case.

+1
    Minimal wear on a wear ring can cause cavitation issues. If it cavitates during your next ride, that's the culprit.

+1
    Greatly appreciate the replies guys, thanks!

Right after the stick was removed I went to the lake to test - seems ok and I hit top speed no problem, no change in top speed or rpms at all.

If the impeller was cavitating, how would I know? I thought it would slow the prop down, thus reducing the top speed? Any other ways to know? Thoughts?

Thanks

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    I had the same with fishing line past summer.Ski idle good but when I hit the throttle the vibration moves me off from the seat.I shut off the engine and swim pushing the ski to the beach.I get the ski on the trailer so I can look from underneath.I got a knife and cut the fishing line off of the driveshaft.After that i put the ski back to water and for my good luck everything was fine.

+1
    Hey guys, any thoughts on this:

Right after the stick was removed I went to the lake to test - seems ok and I hit top speed no problem, no change in top speed or rpms at all. If the impeller was cavitating, how would I know? I thought it would slow the prop down, thus reducing the top speed? Any other ways to know? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Hey guys, any thoughts on this:

Right after the stick was removed I went to the lake to test - seems ok and I hit top speed no problem, no change in top speed or rpms at all. If the impeller was cavitating, how would I know? I thought it would slow the prop down, thus reducing the top speed? Any other ways to know? Thoughts?
    cavitation occurs when you give it throttle from low or no speed. it will rev up and not accelerate as it should. sort of like a slipping clutch in a car.

+1
    Also. Your better off pulling the pump then your intake grate. This should be moved to Open seadoo Forum also.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey785 View Post
    cavitation occurs when you give it throttle from low or no speed. it will rev up and not accelerate as it should. sort of like a slipping clutch in a car.

Ok thanks for your reply. I did test the acceleration from a stop and everything seemed normal.
    Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ADAMBOMB View Post
    Also. Your better off pulling the pump then your intake grate. This should be moved to Open seadoo Forum also.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Not sure on how to switch the thread to the other forum?

Thread Information