Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

Political views on E-85

e85 will cut oil imports..and that's good for all. Under an epa mandate if future engines were equipped with the couple of small things needed to support flex fuel operation we'll all be better off in the long run. Just look at Brazil..what else do I have to say?

I'd push for it in the largest cities first, but California would have the easiest time implementing it..but on the flip side it doesn't work well when you need extended ranges for whatever reason.

It's a good motor fuel..now let's build some motors that can use it. Just have a look at at this:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/03...-gm-motor.html

not our first time to the "we can think outside the box" here in the good ole USA.

It's unfortunate, but you have to be well funded to get into this game, so we can hope the current ecu makers will consider the futures of motor fuels in thier designs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    e85 will cut oil imports..and that's good for all. Under an epa mandate if future engines were equipped with the couple of small things needed to support flex fuel operation we'll all be better off in the long run. Just look at Brazil..what else do I have to say?

I'd push for it in the largest cities first, but California would have the easiest time implementing it..but on the flip side it doesn't work well when you need extended ranges for whatever reason.

It's a good motor fuel..now let's build some motors that can use it. Just have a look at at this:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/03...-gm-motor.html

not our first time to the "we can think outside the box" here in the good ole USA.

It's unfortunate, but you have to be well funded to get into this game, so we can hope the current ecu makers will consider the futures of motor fuels in thier designs.
    While I do believe there is a spot for this fuel as a race gas substitute thats about it. There are hundreds of articles of what a huge scam the ethanol substitue really is.

For your info it is very easy for manufacturers to sense the change between fuels and change timing and fuel curves to adjust for the E85. To even think farmers could supply or even our planet could survive the amount of corn it would take to support our fuel demands is just hilarious!! We would have a raped and bare earth long before that could happen, your living in some liberal dream.

Do a google search for God sake. http://www.thecuttingedgenews.com/index.php?article=473

+1
    Duke, some farmers still use corn but the main source used to make Ethanol is switchgrass now adays so it can be possible to become completely independent of the big oil companies. I am actually for "going green" and having E85 more readily available at more gas stations. I'm pretty lucky that I have two that are about 5 mins from my house but some people have to travel a few hours to get the stuff all depending on where you live.

I'm not into politics but when gas was over $4 a gallon for no damned reason just because they feel like it and they really have no competitorsso what the heck do they care. Now if ethanol would be more available you will see a huge price drop. I work with venezuelans and they tell me that in their country it costs them about 50 cents....to fill up their whole tank!! It's ridiculous that we have to pay 100 times more then them when it's the same fuel.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAShark View Post
    Duke, some farmers still use corn but the main source used to make Ethanol is switchgrass now adays so it can be possible to become completely independent of the big oil companies. I am actually for "going green" and having E85 more readily available at more gas stations. I'm pretty lucky that I have two that are about 5 mins from my house but some people have to travel a few hours to get the stuff all depending on where you live.

I'm not into politics but when gas was over $4 a gallon for no damned reason just because they feel like it and they really have no competitorsso what the heck do they care. Now if ethanol would be more available you will see a huge price drop. I work with venezuelans and they tell me that in their country it costs them about 50 cents....to fill up their whole tank!! It's ridiculous that we have to pay 100 times more then them when it's the same fuel.
    I understand the idea but also realize there isn't enough earth to produce enough ethanol to support our country. I'm just as green or more then most but this isn't the answer. Fuel cost and availability really shouldn't be a focus on our forum since its so political. Just the performance of each and their benefits.

E85 has some serious benefits if your avoiding the high cost of race gas and need its cooling effect for whatever reason. For the typical rec rider its a complete waste of time and loss of range.

+1
    I Don't want to stir the pot but just wanted to give some facts on ethanol since AG is my lively hood.
    I come from a AG background and work in the AG industry and have many different opinions on ethenol and corn production.
    The company I have worked for last 20 years markets corn and other planting seeds in the southern part of the US and several different countries such as South America, China, Europe, just to name a few.

Here is a good article about future of ethenol.
    Some may say this is politics but I wanted for all to see that ethanol was heading to cellulosic and has been for many years.

Last reviewed: January 2011
    Most experts don't see the future of the ethanol industry taking root in America's cornfields. A more promising long-term solution is cellulosic ethanol, which can be made from a variety of other sources such as corn stover (leaves, stalks, and other leftover parts), rye straw, wood pulp, and possibly switchgrass (commonly used for hay). In Brazil, where every new car runs on at least 20-percent ethanol and many run on pure ethanol, the fuel is made from sugarcane.

"If this country is going to go big into ethanol, we need to tap into cellulosic ethanol," says UCS Research Director of Clean Vehicles David Friedman, "because it's cleaner and requires less fossil fuels than corn [to produce]."

A 2005 study conducted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Oak Ridge National Laboratory estimates that by 2030, ethanol from corn and cellulose could replace 30 percent of U.S. oil consumption—about the same as the United States currently imports from OPEC nations. Called the Billion Ton Study, it assumes that 1 billion tons of organic material could be used, with no loss of corn for food or feed, from resources such as forest waste organic residue, and energy crops such as switchgrass.

Companies have developed a number of processes for creating cellulosic ethanol. A few technology companies are working on new chemical processes that could create ethanol from waste streams such as leftover construction materials and even municipal garbage. So far these technologies have only been demonstrated on a small scale, and it will take several years before we know whether they are viable. Today about two dozen cellulosic ethanol plants are under development in the United States.

+1
    Not another E85 thread!

+1
    See what you started.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrxp View Post
    Not another E85 thread!
    This is to keep the BS off the performance thread..seeing people are wanting to debate E-85 on the performance side,this thread will keep the politics and BS off the thread that matters.....hopefully...lol

All im asking is to play nice,when the shit hits the fan,the thread goes bye bye......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAShark View Post

That is actually not so true. Corn is still predominately used in ethanol production. Switchgrass does in fact yield more fuel per acre as opposed to corn, however when you factor in transportation costs (bulk density) as opposed to corn, and ad the fact that it is much more expensive to process, it is currently not much more economically beneficial than corn. Corn is still also heavily subsidized by the feds..

Switchgrass is logical in a futuristic sense, however production costs will have to be brought down with the advent of more efficient processing technologies. Switchgrass needs very little maintenance, can grow almost anywhere, and as stated, yields much more product per acre.

Both my vehicles are flex fueled, based on my own experiences.....it comes down to ''do you want to pay now, or pay later'' Sure your going to spend less at the pump initially, but you will surely be back sooner. I don't even bother with it...

I also want to thank the feds, and the ahhh umm, a few other crap organizations.... for having to pay 37K for a fkn F150......

The fact remains that the current corn-based ethanol paradigm in this country only nets a very small amount of energy when you subtract the total amount of energy put into the process to produce it. In other words, it is basically pointless as it can never hope to even make a dent in our energy needs. Cellulosic ethanol holds promise, but nobody has yet figured out a good production model to make it viable in large quantities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information