I am new to this forum...just joined tonight. I recently purchased a 2000 GTX Millenium Edition that has the carbs (not DI). I have been cleaning it up and checking various components on it. I noticed during my test ride that the speedo did not work, other items seemed to work just fine like RPM's and temp, etc.

Yesterday I looked at the parts diagrams and found where the paddle sensor actually is. I turned on the electronics and changed over to the speedo selection and blew the paddle wheel with my air compressor and I noticed it was working just fine (even though it didn't work in the water). It registered up to 68 mph. I took my neighbor out tonight to show him it was working, and now it's not work again. I did the same thing I did yesterday and I haven't touched a thing on it....what gives?

What part # would I need to replace to get it working consistently? I understand the paddle wheel has magnets in it...and it looks to be in great shape with nothing missing but based on the parts diagrams, I have no idea where to start.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to take it to the shop because of $$.