Idle problems with XLT1200

Hi All,

Sorry if this topic has been metioned before as I am a new user. We have a 1200xlt and are having problems with it idling. It doesnt seem to Idle for long at all. It's also been hard to start too. Would anyone have any ideas if it would be a spark plug issue or something more? has this happened to yours?

Thanks Heaps

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristina16 View Post
    Hi All,

Sorry if this topic has been metioned before as I am a new user. We have a 1200xlt and are having problems with it idling. It doesnt seem to Idle for long at all. It's also been hard to start too. Would anyone have any ideas if it would be a spark plug issue or something more? has this happened to yours?

Thanks Heaps
    Check your spark plugs to see what cyl is not getting enough fuel, and rebuild that carb before you melt a cyl and piston.

Here's a link that should help you read your spark plug:
    http://www.theultralightplace.com/sparkplugs.htm

+1
    May as well rebuild all three carbs. Make sure genuine Mikuni kits are used.
    How many hours on ski? Carbs ever gone through? Assuming ski is pretty much stock.

Thanks heaps,

Yep it's stock, only done 65hours. we have only owned the ski for about a month. great machine, but we were bound to find our first problem.

Thanks for the advice

+1
    hmm possible the catalitic is going or gone.... u need a d plate and chip for it !

+1
    Who's wrenching on it, you or a dealer?
    You can get all the help you need here on the forum to do it yourself.
    If you're paying someone else to do it make sure you run it by the folks here first.
    There is much more knowledge on the Hulk than in any shop in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristina16 View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks Heaps

Kristina16, the first and easiest thing to trouble shoot on that issue (I have an 03 xlt) is the idle stop screw/idle adjustment. On the Mikuni BN carbs you have, the lower the idle speed, the richer the low speed mixture-it will load-up and die. So, try first to increase idle speed by turning the small adjuster located under/on the right hand side below the exhaust pipe boot adjacent to cylinder #1. This was part of the reason the reviews said it was set-up from the factory too rich down low, and bogged. As other's have said, certainly other things like checking plugs, gas, fuel line, compression, etc. etc.. may come into play. Are your plugs black/dark brown? ...remove them after it dies-out at idle on the trailer to check. That may indicate too much fuel down low/idle speed adjustment. Check it then report back... .

Rebuild the carbs, dont mess with the carb screws. There is an idle adjustment up by the #1 cylinder, its a round black knob and it attaches to the carbs with a cable

Thanks heaps everyone, I really appreciate all your help, we changed all 3 spark plus and its running much better, I will def look at the idle adjustment too.

thanks again

Thread Information