Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Looking for a new life jacket (100mph rated)

Hi all, I'm in the market for a neoprene 100mph rated life jacket. It has to be neoprene because the water up here in New England is cold in the spring, and I don't wear a wetsuit when I ride. I've looked into some of the Mustang vets and they look killer-- but they are out of my price range and IMO overkill for a rec rider like myself. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions, I'm open to any brand as long as it is USCG approved.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Hi all, I'm in the market for a neoprene 100mph rated life jacket. It has to be neoprene because the water up here in New England is cold in the spring, and I don't wear a wetsuit when I ride. I've looked into some of the Mustang vets and they look killer-- but they are out of my price range and IMO overkill for a rec rider like myself. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions, I'm open to any brand as long as it is USCG approved.
    The Jet Pilot pullover vest saved my life when I was tossed off Howards conversion at 98mph. The event was very violent and seemed to take forever to end. When I came to a rest i was upright but temporarily paralyzed but bobbing up and down with my head above water, within a few seconds I could move my arms and then my legs. Lifeline makes better jackets but can be bulky and worry thats even more crap for the water to catch and ragdoll you even worse. If your doing a high speed test run its my opinion to pull the lower strap tight enough where it will catch your ribcage before pulling over your shoulders. None of these skis were ever designed to run over 65mph so we are in pretty dangerous territory and need to respect that.

Just my .02

+1
    Check out this web sight http://www.lifelinejackets.com/ they have a lot of new vest that are not so bulky like the older ones.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    The Jet Pilot pullover vest saved my life when I was tossed off Howards conversion at 98mph. The event was very violent and seemed to take forever to end. When I came to a rest i was upright but temporarily paralyzed but bobbing up and down with my head above water, within a few seconds I could move my arms and then my legs. Lifeline makes better jackets but can be bulky and worry thats even more crap for the water to catch and ragdoll you even worse. If your doing a high speed test run its my opinion to pull the lower strap tight enough where it will catch your ribcage before pulling over your shoulders. None of these skis were ever designed to run over 65mph so we are in pretty dangerous territory and need to respect that.

Just my .02
    I agree with how dangerous these skis can be, especially over 50mph.... let alone 98mph. What vest specifically is the jet pilot one you are referring to? I've been looking mainly at jet pilot vests, but their website does not show what their impact rating is, so I am hesitant on buying one online unless I know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Check out this web sight http://www.lifelinejackets.com/ they have a lot of new vest that are not so bulky like the older ones.
    They look like real high quality-- but the price is killing me. Obviously safety is a huge priority.... but 500$ for a vest seems pretty steep. I think there are other, cheaper, alternatives which better fit my needs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikefzr View Post
    i agree with how dangerous these skis can be, especially over 50mph.... Let alone 98mph. What vest specifically is the jet pilot one you are referring to? I've been looking mainly at jet pilot vests, but their website does not show what their impact rating is, so i am hesitant on buying one online unless i know for sure.

They look like real high quality-- but the price is killing me. Obviously safety is a huge priority.... But 500$ for a vest seems pretty steep. I think there are other, cheaper, alternatives which better fit my needs.
    check out jettribe.com they have a lifevest that has a backprotector i've been lurking at.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpdoo View Post
    check out jettribe.com they have a lifevest that has a backprotector i've been lurking at.
    Those are rated Type 3. The Jet Pilots are Type 5. Most of them are not rated at all.

+1
    Water Woody is a dealer for
    http://www.lifelinejackets.com/

Jettribe.com Good site. Thanks

good steer to that site. Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by duke View Post
    those are rated type 3. The jet pilots are type 5. Most of them are not rated at all.
    thx duke! I like the backprotector. Wonder if it can be used with the jetpilot one

+1
    Looks like I have some good options between jettribe and jetpilot. My only issue is that I cannot find the speed rating anywhere on either of their websites. Most rec vests are rated for 50mph (my current one is) but I'm looking for a 100mph rated vest for the extra safety. I think I will shoot jettribe/ jetpilot an email to see if I can get more info. I will post it up here as well.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information