Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

fz free flow exhaust, with no drone

I am currently running Tommys free flow , I have tried running a home made free flow mod which resulted a drone attached to vibration that I could feel under my feet, 2 days of that crap was just punishment ,so back to tommys ffe and a few ducky's to parts pak for a another oem replacement

-can anyone say that the ffe with thru hull ,has a drone and vibration
    -I am trying to get the performance of a free flow , with out the noise
    - has anyone been able to come up with better idea than Tommy (no offense Tommy)

I had the Riva FF on my SHO and it droned like crazy, so when I bought the FZR I went straight to the thru-hull. The big problem is that it echos in the pump tunnel. The thru-hull drones a little but not nearly as much as the traditional FF exhaust setup.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FtLaudBlkGT View Post
    I had the Riva FF on my SHO and it droned like crazy, so when I bought the FZR I went straight to the thru-hull. The big problem is that it echos in the pump tunnel. The thru-hull drones a little but not nearly as much as the traditional FF exhaust setup.
    thanks bro
    what about vibration ?

+1
    i think a thru hull exhaust + splicing in one of these mufflers would be the ticket.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=155509&page=1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    i think a thru hull exhaust + splicing in one of these mufflers would be the ticket.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=155509&page=1
    +1 I was going to recommend this thread, but coco beat me to it. Also, keep an eye on the stock exhaust outlet if you use use the FF exhuast. It is prone to tearing under the weight of the FF tube which can cause a dangerous water leak. It happened to me in the fall and to a few other guys on here.

Quote Originally Posted by mckma View Post
    thanks bro
    what about vibration ?
    A little vibration, but I think that can be resolved by slipping some 3.5" couplers on the long aluminum pipe, using them as deadening material kind of like dynamat.

+1
    True, the rear exhaust gets rid of the drone, but it's MUCH louder. It's not noticeable above 40 mph, but at low speeds it's annoying as hell on long rides, more so than the drone from the FF IMO. Also, at slower speeds in rough water you get a wa-wa-wa sound as the outlet gets partially submerged & comes back out. After installing it, my wife & I did some cruising on the SHO riding 2-up, & with her on the back I have to keep my speeds down in rough water. It was brutal, & at the end of the day she was bitching at me because she said she couldn't hear out of her right ear. I'm going to try the resonator Ross used to see if it quiets it back down again.

It kinda depends on how you use your ski. If you go out & rip around your local lakes & rivers it's fine, but if you do 100 mile rides where you're going to deal with rough conditions, speed restricted areas & no-wake zones, I'd think twice about going with the rear exhaust, especially since once it's done there's no going back.

+1
    Why does anyone bother with anything other than a modified stock exhaust? Is there that much of a power gain, or is it just for noise?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    True, the rear exhaust gets rid of the drone, but it's MUCH louder. It's not noticeable above 40 mph, but at low speeds it's annoying as hell on long rides, more so than the drone from the FF IMO. Also, at slower speeds in rough water you get a wa-wa-wa sound as the outlet gets partially submerged & comes back out. After installing it, my wife & I did some cruising on the SHO riding 2-up, & with her on the back I have to keep my speeds down in rough water. It was brutal, & at the end of the day she was bitching at me because she said she couldn't hear out of her right ear. I'm going to try the resonator Ross used to see if it quiets it back down again.

It kinda depends on how you use your ski. If you go out & rip around your local lakes & rivers it's fine, but if you do 100 mile rides where you're going to deal with rough conditions, speed restricted areas & no-wake zones, I'd think twice about going with the rear exhaust, especially since once it's done there's no going back.
    Interesting points. To be honest, I get almost no drone on the ocean vs. the lake. I think the reason why is that on the ocean the ski is always coming unhooked and water is splashing around which seems to cancel out the FF drone to an extent. However, on the lake I get a worse drone up until 5,500rpm. After that, all you can hear is the wind

+1
    Tommy's still looking good, but with Tommy's I lost a little low end compared to the free flow, I wonder how it effects the topend (Tommy's ffe)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information