Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Bilge Pump Electrical Question

Guys,

I need those who are familiar with the system to chime in and help if they can.

Last Saturday after ride I noticed my bilg pump on my FXHO Cruiser 2006 isn't working. I checked the fuse at home and the 3 amp fuse was blown! Then I inserted the spare and it blew before even I hear the pump!

I took the bilge pump out and in the process I broke the pump exit/small pipe that goes into the hose! haha!

Anyways, once I had the pump out, I connected it to a 12v battery and pump worked! Baffled as why it is blowing fuse, I put another fuse in and this time pump worked fine for as many times as I tried it!

I am ordering a new pump Rule 500 anyways as a friend told me that's a sign of pump going out!

I am not ordering the Yamaha version so this pump comes with only wires and no connectors. Here's my question, can I solder a set of wires with a switch in between to go to the battery so I can run the pump anytime I want to flush the water after wash down when ski is off! Would this feedback to the module that is connected to the machine and ruin an electronic component when ski is off and battery is putting 12v through it?

Basically, I will cut the wire and connector off of old pump and solder to the new pump and plus solder a new set of wire with a switch to the battery. Like a Y!

Please advise!

Thanks all!
    Reza

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I hot wired mine with a inline 3amp fuse and switch. I simply cut hot wire from ski harness and wired to battery and a switch

The short happens where the wires go into the pump.

+1
    Rick,

The way I understood you, you eliminated going to the Yamaha connector and hot wired it to your battery with a switch and a fuse!

I was going to do both! and only operate the switch when ski is not running. What do you think? Would I have problem if I did that?

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    You will be able to hear the pump running if you leave it on. I did not cut the connector on the pump or the ski, I simply cut the one power wire comming from the ski on the ski plug.....left the black ground hooked up ran a wire with inline fuse to the battery to my switch and to the ski plug where the pump plugged in. I will post pics later

+1
    With that method as I am trying to picture it, do you have these two options: 1. When switch is off, pump is running normal as you start the waverunner and 2. When engine is off, you can operate the pump with the switch.

OR

This is hooked up such that only switch can turn the pump on or off? Basically regardless of your ski running or not you have the command to tell the pump to run or otherwise!
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    You will be able to hear the pump running if you leave it on. I did not cut the connector on the pump or the ski, I simply cut the one power wire comming from the ski on the ski plug.....left the black ground hooked up ran a wire with inline fuse to the battery to my switch and to the ski plug where the pump plugged in. I will post pics later

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Mine is the second......that way if I spring a leak....ie... pump tunnel or water hose I can control the pump with no ignition on to risk short out, and I dont have to run ski to have pump on.

+1
    Awesome! That's actually how a good friend of mine John has done this on his Kawi 300X!

Now where did you mount your switch? A picture of that would be very helpful! My friend has it in the glovebox, he has brought it to the front of the ski.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    Mine is the second......that way if I spring a leak....ie... pump tunnel or water hose I can control the pump with no ignition on to risk short out, and I dont have to run ski to have pump on.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Are these the pumps that you can run in "auto" or "on?" I believe its the 3 wire models? Just checking as I plan on doing this too. Dumb that the bilge runs like it does stock!

+1
    yes 3 wire ones have auto feature! dumb as heck man, I agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    Are these the pumps that you can run in "auto" or "on?" I believe its the 3 wire models? Just checking as I plan on doing this too. Dumb that the bilge runs like it does stock!

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    yes 3 wire ones have auto feature! dumb as heck man, I agree!
    Doesnt make much sense! Scenario at all. Im gonna end up setting up my own harness and put a switch in the console right next to my tach.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information