Thread: Any real #s

Any real #s

You can read all day and it usually gets repeated over and over.

1. Freeflow gives better low end but looses top speed over stock ss. Ok, if thats what everyone says then I believe them. Now my question is how much loss? Are we talking a couple tenths or a couple mph? Would be usefull info to decide which way to go. If people FEEL the low end difference with there buttometer I assume its considerable.

2. Same goes with the 85 or 87 nozzle. 85 is supposed to be better top speed but 87 has better takeoff and mid range pull. Any #s either way?

Also where am I wrong here> If the 87 gives more rpms wouldnt this allow you to give a little more pitch to the prop to make up for the loss on top?

Quote Originally Posted by porksword View Post

1. Freeflow gives better low end but looses top speed over stock ss. Ok, if thats what everyone says then I believe them. Now my question is how much loss? Are we talking a couple tenths or a couple mph? Would be usefull info to decide which way to go. If people FEEL the low end difference with there buttometer I assume its considerable.

2. Same goes with the 85 or 87 nozzle. 85 is supposed to be better top speed but 87 has better takeoff and mid range pull. Any #s either way?

Also where am I wrong here> If the 87 gives more rpms wouldnt this allow you to give a little more pitch to the prop to make up for the loss on top?
    I am doing the 14/20 Dynafly and 87mm this season. Supposed to be better than the 85mm if your rpms are low.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by porksword View Post

thats funny, i just had this identical conversation with someone a few hours ago....

1) 50-80 loss by going to FF away from SS (Single Pipe, and depending on other conditions). Or just the opposite by putting the SS back in place of the free flow (+50 to 80).

2) 85/87 nozz -- People still argue over this one. You might gain some rpm in the switch over to an 87 and loose just a hiar on the top speed (if you didn't change anything else), but can be gained back after a repitch in most cases to yield a positive net gain (getting back what you just lost plus some to end up higher than you were at the beginning).

Different boats and setups will sometimes like to have an odd configuration to where none of this could actually be the end result.

Thanks Abbott, thats the answer I was looking for.

+1
    I removed the FF from all of my skis - it is just too loud.

I was kind of worried about that. I have an ATV with open exhaust that sounds good for about a minute before the roaring in my ears just gets obnoxious. the main reason I was considering it besides bottom end pull was reduced risk of detonation with 150 psi and 3 degree key.

I still cant decide though.

+1
    IMHO the freeflow better low end punch and the ski seems to run a little cooler. the sound i like cause the ss is to quite

I like the rubber FF, has a nice rumble down low and not too bad when cruising plus I get the deto protection.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    I like the rubber FF, has a nice rumble down low and not too bad when cruising plus I get the deto protection.

yep! And its NOT lound at all!

Thread Information