Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Waterbox question

So over the weekend I had my exhaust filter fail on my 300, absolutely my fault as I am close to 50 hrs and had not changed it, lesson learned. Anyway, my question is after getting towed back (Big thank you to WaterDemon and Fire0021 for the tow) and was flushing the ski I noticed the hull filling with water as the rear outlet hose on my waterbox had blown off, why would the outlet hose have blown off and not the forward inlet hose where the pressure was? I retrived the honeycome element in one piece from the pipe inside the waterbox that conncets the two chambers, so I would have thought pressure would have blown off the forward inlet hose as pressure couldn't make it to the second chamber. Why do you think the outlet blew off?

+1
    because the front inlet is a tightarse fitting with no room for movement the dump pipe fits down inside the waterbox

OK, that sounds about right. I was leaning that direction thinking the outlet must have been the path of least resistance. Thanks for the input.

Was there any "heat" damage on the outlet hose of the water box due to the filter failure?

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    Was there any "heat" damage on the outlet hose of the water box due to the filter failure?
    Yes, the hose is all deformed, wasn't sure if that was from heat or pressure. Have you encountered this as well?

Yes, I've seen it once on another ski. The filter core came loose and got stuck in the hole of the baffle plate inside the water box. The stcuk filter core reduced the cooling water flow to the next chamber inside the water box and the pure excessive heat melted the hose. If you look closely on your damaged hose, you may be able to tell - how hard and brittle the rubber hose got because of too much heat w/o adequate water to cool it.

See below the hose that has a burnt-thru hole.

The moral of the story is, do the maintenance as specified in the manual. Then, not only you may avoid getting stranded in the middle of the ocean, but you can also save some $$ to fix other possible collateral damage such as this burnt exhaust hose.

Yep, that's what mine looks like too. Funny thing is I had checked the filter 2 hrs prior to the failure. Manual says check and replace if necessary, filter looked fine at the time. Anyway hose was $20, not a big deal. Thanks for the info.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by OC_JAX View Post
    Yep, that's what mine looks like too. Funny thing is I had checked the filter 2 hrs prior to the failure. Manual says check and replace if necessary, filter looked fine at the time. Anyway hose was $20, not a big deal. Thanks for the info.
    In my opinion it should be re worded in the. Manual to replace every 20 hrs not check and replace because even those who do check like you did have no way to know if it's good or bad. And then blammo. U did what the. Manual stated. Not your fault.

I agree, it should just say replace as you can't visibly see the fatigue inside the metal caused by the extreme temperature cycles. Oh well lesson learned.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OC_JAX View Post
    I agree, it should just say replace as you can't visibly see the fatigue inside the metal caused by the extreme temperature cycles. Oh well lesson learned.

I said this in a different thread about changing this ex. filter every 20-25 hrs or at least once a season...seems more you read about this ski the more that this would be a hidden problem that can be addressed before its too late....$120-140 seems to be the price.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information