Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: property tax

+1

property tax

I need some advice. We bought our place in 1998 and every year our property tax keeps on going up nickles and dimes every year and it is a double wide MH on 2 acres of land. We were thinking about getting the property re-evaluated by the county. We did a couple improvements we added a deck and a side porch. With property values going down in the last couple of years. Plus we have some neighbors that have trashy MH around us and we were wandering if that would hurt us in one way or help us in another way with the property tax. I understand that we live on 2 acres of land and we understand the land goes up in value but that should not offset the drop in the MH value. So the question we have is should we roll the dice and have the county come out and re-evaluate the property in hopes of lowering tax on it or should we just count our lucky stars that we are paying only $800.00 this year???????????? So what are your thoughts.

Kerry

+1
    $800 a year sound cheap. But I live in Oregon we have hi property tax because we don't have sale tax's. I known what you mean with the property taxes going up. In ten years it has gone up $1300 on top of what we pay. WTF on that. With house Worth less too. I feel your pain.

+1
    Check with the county and see what the procedure is for protesting your assessment. In this housing market, I'd be very surprised if the value will go up. Check and see if the rate went up. Even though your value may not have gone up (or down) the rate may have increased. A lot of localities around the country are raising rates to make up for the drop in assessed value. This past year, my assessed value went down for the first time. But I have to say, compared to most parts of the country, 800 bucks (depending on your assessed value) is a deal on property taxes.

Banned User
    +1
    Geez that's insanely cheap

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    $800!!??? take it and run....you dont want to know what I pay for in Illinois!

+1
    First, don't compare your situation to what anyone else in another state or county thinks is cheap or expensive - that is apples and oranges.

Next, as the Beagle pointed out, inquire about having your property re-assessed. Most municipalities will have a procedure in place for that.

Regarding value, in most cases, the bad bring the good down, not the inverse. In other words, a $500K home built in a "neighborhood" of large lots and mobile homes will not generally increase the value of the mobile home residences. It's usually the other way around; ie the mobile home values will usually bring down the value of the "nice house" property.

BTW, I'm assuming you've filed for homestead exemption, if that is applicable in your state; obviously I wouldn't know.

Finally, if you're really desperate, you could spend the money to support your opinion, if the municipality will accept a certified appraisal. I've heard of some doing this, but a lot don't. But be warned, the decrease in value might not be as much there as you think and/or the cost of the appraisal may be more than what you will save in assessed value over the next few years.

Good luck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oklagp1200r View Post
    So the question we have is should we roll the dice and have the county come out and re-evaluate the property in hopes of lowering tax on it or should we just count our lucky stars that we are paying only $800.00 this year???????????? So what are your thoughts.
    I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for some bureaucratic bean counter to lower your taxes. I had a second property here in Florida for a while, and when I tried that they basically told me to forget it. It was like talking into a fan.

Let me tell you, some of these states are already broke, and more and more of them are falling into a financial mess. High unemployment = high foreclosure rates = unoccupied homes. That means no taxes on phones, water, cable, internet etc. More lost revenue. There are very few new housing starts, which means lost jobs and no payroll taxes, and no sales taxes on building supplies and materials. There is also a loss of revenue from building permits and other revenue. A lot of retail space and office space is going vacant which again means lost revenue.

California has already started opening the prisons and dumping criminals back into the streets, because they can't afford to keep them locked up. Places like Oakland are now trying to get dope dealers to bail out their shortfalls so they can hire more law enforcement and expand their offices.

While the news media and the Occupy Commies keep everyone hating capitalism and Wall Street, the taxpayers are getting raped by a government that is all-too willing to carve out its pound of flesh from your azz. This is wealth redistribution on a massive scale. Get ready; these agencies want to keep YOU paying their insane salaries and they are going to come looking for more soon. In New York, there are 99,000 state and local workers bringing home six figure salaries. In California, one city worker is being paid $500,000 annually -- during retirement!!! Check this out, this will make your day:

20 government workers with super-sized pay
    http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...uper-sized-pay

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for some bureaucratic bean counter to lower your taxes. I had a second property here in Florida for a while, and when I tried that they basically told me to forget it. It was like talking into a fan.

Let me tell you, some of these states are already broke, and more and more of them are falling into a financial mess. High unemployment = high foreclosure rates = unoccupied homes. That means no taxes on phones, water, cable, internet etc. More lost revenue. There are very few new housing starts, which means lost jobs and no payroll taxes, and no sales taxes on building supplies and materials. There is also a loss of revenue from building permits and other revenue. A lot of retail space and office space is going vacant which again means lost revenue.

California has already started opening the prisons and dumping criminals back into the streets, because they can't afford to keep them locked up. Places like Oakland are now trying to get dope dealers to bail out their shortfalls so they can hire more law enforcement and expand their offices.

While the news media and the Occupy Commies keep everyone hating capitalism and Wall Street, the taxpayers are getting raped by a government that is all-too willing to carve out its pound of flesh from your azz. This is wealth redistribution on a massive scale. Get ready; these agencies want to keep YOU paying their insane salaries and they are going to come looking for more soon. In New York, there are 99,000 state and local workers bringing home six figure salaries. In California, one city worker is being paid $500,000 annually -- during retirement!!! Check this out, this will make your day:

20 government workers with super-sized pay
    http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...uper-sized-pay

I love this guy...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    Check with the county and see what the procedure is for protesting your assessment. In this housing market, I'd be very surprised if the value will go up. Check and see if the rate went up. Even though your value may not have gone up (or down) the rate may have increased. A lot of localities around the country are raising rates to make up for the drop in assessed value. This past year, my assessed value went down for the first time. But I have to say, compared to most parts of the country, 800 bucks (depending on your assessed value) is a deal on property taxes.
    Good points all.

I recently challenged my assessment and was successful. An appraisal cost me $300. My appraisal was verified and accepted by the assessor at a 19% reduction in assessed value.

In my case the $300 investment was a no brainer. In 2010 my real property taxes totaled $8,222. (a home then valued at $214,600 on 0.18ac) I recouped my investment in three months and it will stay in effect for years, until a full revaluation is done.

1-Dont ask the government agency for a review. They have a vested interest to protect the assessor.
    2- Hire a certified appraisal firm and dont take there first amount. They can be reasoned with to report the lowest amount they can "professionally" justify.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    Good points all.

I recently challenged my assessment and was successful. An appraisal cost me $300. My appraisal was verified and accepted by the assessor at a 19% reduction in assessed value.

In my case the $300 investment was a no brainer. In 2010 my real property taxes totaled $8,222. (a home then valued at $214,600 on 0.18ac) I recouped my investment in three months and it will stay in effect for years, until a full revaluation is done.

1-Dont ask the government agency for a review. They have a vested interest to protect the assessor.
    2- Hire a certified appraisal firm and dont take there first amount. They can be reasoned with to report the lowest amount they can "professionally" justify.
    Holy crap!
    $8222.00 on a $214,000 assessment!!!!!!
    Good lord man. Now I see why people are moving out of the northeastern states in droves. (and a lot of them are moving to Virginia)
    I pay $3800.00 a year on a $329,000 assessment. My assessment last year was $364,000. Last year was the first time it has gone down since we bought this house back in 2007.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information