Bear with the noob questions...

Been reading a LOT about PWC safety, including all of the threads on PFD's and safety gear.

I will be riding this coming spring in waters that start around 50* and head up to around 80*, all fresh water in the Upper Niagara River. The ski I bought is an 05 GTX Limited.

Being a boater for years, I know quite a bit about boating safety - however the world of PWC's is fairly new.

I don't intend to be racing my ski - but instead it will be used for some basic cruising and some occasional spirited piloting. I am seeing a lot of the threads referring to the Mustang PFD's, but I have to ask - do I really need that vest for where and how I am riding? Our boat has over a dozen PFD's on it, and all have served us very well thus far in the water.

So far my safety items include:
    Handheld VHF
    Handheld GPS
    Flares
    Flag
    half a dozen whistles (damn kids lose them all the time)
    Basic toolkit
    Collapsible Paddle
    Type 3, front Zip and triple buckle PFD
    Flashlight
    1st Aid Kit
    Grapple Anchor with 50' line
    Oakley's for my eyes

Now - before you call overkill - remember this is the Upper Niagara River, 2 miles from the Niagara Falls. If I break down, I have less than 20 minutes to either get rescued, or stopped in the water / to shore or the sudden stop at the bottom will be my last.

Is there anything else that I should consider? Is the PFD I have sufficient for the ski and riding style? As far as other riding gear - Do I really need neoprene shorts & Gloves? Just asking because I do not think I have ever seen anyone here ever wearing any of those.

Thanks for your patience!

+1
    not really..... i dont wear neoprene gloves nor shorts... regular swim trunks, maybe a teeshirt and the pfd....

hmm..... to your list.... id add some rope ( unless you just didnt mention it)
    a towel..... and i guess your set.......
    oh btw i DO wear neoprene boots mostly designed for underwater divers, they have a zipper on the side...... NOT really needed in the summer in my lake..... but very good for preventing feet from freezing....

oh and as for the falls..... just catch some massive air lmao... btw how deep are the bottom of the falls ? ( like where the falls fall, the lower side has to be pretty deep right?)

have fun... be safe.....

Quote Originally Posted by shui View Post
    not really..... i dont wear neoprene gloves nor shorts... regular swim trunks, maybe a teeshirt and the pfd....

hmm..... to your list.... id add some rope ( unless you just didnt mention it)
    a towel..... and i guess your set.......
    oh btw i DO wear neoprene boots mostly designed for underwater divers, they have a zipper on the side...... NOT really needed in the summer in my lake..... but very good for preventing feet from freezing....

oh and as for the falls..... just catch some massive air lmao... btw how deep are the bottom of the falls ? ( like where the falls fall, the lower side has to be pretty deep right?)

have fun... be safe.....

lol! Yeah, it is quite a drop. I don't remember exactly how far the drop is, but IIRC it is somewhere near 250 feet. The lower river is DEEP - up to 200' in some places, while the upper where I am at is no more than 30' deep at worst. It averages 10 - 15' deep.

+1
    well then you are safe..... just submarine your seadoo
    oh P.S what seadoo do you own?

The real problem with the Falls is the Class 6 rapids before you go over, and then the mountains of rock at the bottom when you do! I have an 05 GTX Limited 215 that I bought last month - it will be ridden the 1st time in another 5 months.

+1
    Not to change the subject, but did you address the SC washer's issue?

Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    Not to change the subject, but did you address the SC washer's issue?
    Yes - Before it even goes into the water, the full SC rebuild - not just the washers, but a complete rebuild. I want ZERO problems with it. They are charging me for it, but I negotiated the price before I bought it to offset the cost. This website saved me nearly $1000 before I even signed up. Much love for you guys!

Edit: It has 62 hours on it total, so I am pretty sure I caught it in time. I also got them to start my Warranty period in the spring just in case.

+1
    good deal and good job on the SC thing aswell..
    i usually ride in lake st francois..... 30 min seadoo ride to cornwall ( 45-50 on my seadoo boat)

if you have anyquestions you can PM me...

So - getting back to the original questions - anyone have any additional input?

+1
    Yes, one more thing, but not really an item. If you're riding by yourself, which I never recommend, be sure to file a float plan or leave a "call-out" w/a friend.

Thread Information