Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Virage to replace slt780?

I have a possible line on a carb version Virage 700. What do you all think, would this be an upgrade from the wife's '96 SLT 780? The SLT still needs a little work to finish up fixing the cylinder that went lean last year. Since the Virage is a carb motor and not DFI I'm wondering if this is worth the change?

So lemme hear it, is this a move up in terms of reliability and performance or is it pretty much the same?

Thanks,
    KJ

Banned User
    +1
    I have ridden both a SLT 780 and I have an SLTH 700. I think the 780 is a little quicker off the line, but my 700 is slightly faster on the top end. To me its a toss up. The Virage is definitely a better looking ski. The hull bottoms between the 2 are the same I believe, so I don't think they will ride all that differently. The 700 might be a little better on gas. The virage is definitely better looking. If the virage is in nice shape I say go for it.

+1
    The guy says is dual carbs, but I guess a twin cylinder would do a little better on fuel than the triple 780. The '96 780 was rated as 90+ HP and I think the 2000 model 700 is rated for 95HP so power is probably just about a wash.

I agree the Virage is a nicer looking ski. I think the Virage hulls were patterned after the '96SLT hull so the wife should expect about the same ride quality (which she loves).

I think I may have to take a road trip this weekend

Banned User
    +1
    I believe the bottom half of the hull is the same between the 2. I think the virage came stock with a single carb. I would think 2 carbs would be better. I love my 700. It was cheap to rebuild and has good power. My friends SLT 780 does beat me out of the hole but I have a few MPH more up top. I added trim and a 6 vein stator which helps with top speed. I get 51+ GPS on mine which is pretty good. I built the ski for my wife and she loves it. Although she really likes my SL 900 on flatter water. I would go for it if it were me. Did you by chance find the ski on craigslist? I night have seen the same one, and I was tempted.

+1
    I've always wondered how much different an SLT780/SLTH hull would ride in comparison to my 94 SLT 750. My 94 is a lot of fun because you can spin it out. Do the newer 3-seat hulls still spin out?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The hulls are similar,But the virage is different. The ride is totally different,The Virage is a much stabler ride. What year is it. Amy's is a single carb ski. I'd say the twin Domestics is alot less headache then the Fuji's. Time to step up alittle to a more modern ski Kev.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleOut View Post
    I've always wondered how much different an SLT780/SLTH hull would ride in comparison to my 94 SLT 750. My 94 is a lot of fun because you can spin it out. Do the newer 3-seat hulls still spin out?
    I haven't been able to do it. Its a much smoother ride.

+1
    There was a 2003 Virage that was garage kept second owner, 700 carb on Craigslist for $2000. supposedly 28 hours, but it did say 28 hours on the gage in the add.
    Damn Missed it!
    It was listed on Friday and was gone sat. morning when I called. I have been looking for a really nice 780 SLT for a decent price but most of them are Ragged out bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    The hulls are similar,But the virage is different. The ride is totally different,The Virage is a much stabler ride. What year is it. Amy's is a single carb ski. I'd say the twin Domestics is alot less headache then the Fuji's. Time to step up alittle to a more modern ski Kev.
    Gonna do it. Just working out scheduling with the seller. I have a lot to learn since both my skis are Fuji's, but I'm up to the challenge. Now Cyndi and Amy will have matching skis......bobsy twins you know?!?!?

Of course we have M447 and K447 to thank for this If our wives hadn't ridden K's Virage and M's MSX they wouldn't know the difference

KJ

Banned User
    +1
    I want a Virage, but I want a 1200. Or an MSX 140. Or if I can find a nice 110 or 150 hull do a conversion on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information