Unhappy Need advice on stripped threads

I attempted to install my rebuilt pump assy (2000 900STX) and stripped the threads on the bracket assy.
    The manual states to torque mounting bolts to 27 ft/lbs. I got noware close to that before the threads in the bracket assy stripped. Should I drill and tap the bracket assy to the next larger bolt size? The original bolt is M8 x 10. Next size up would be a M10 x 10 I believe. I've read about installing inserts but don't quite understand the procedure.
    Any help will be appreciated.

if you have enough room and meat to drill and tap it to the next size that is the easiest option. If not you may need to look at heli-coils

+1
    I'd go with a Heli-Coil. You drill the hole out a little larger, thread it, then put in a stainless steel insert. The insert should last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I'd go with a Heli-Coil. You drill the hole out a little larger, thread it, then put in a stainless steel insert. The insert should last forever.
    Thanks Dave and Steve for your response and help. I've read about the Heli-coil here on the forum but have never used one. I do have some questions. After the insert is installed will I still use the same size bolt and thread pitch as the original M8 x 30 1.25 pitch? What size coil would I get? Are special tools needed to install the coil and lastly where can I obtain these coils? I'm going to need three. I should have stopped after the first one stripped!

Thanks again for the suggestions. At least it's winter time and the lakes are really low due to the drought down here so I have plenty of time to get it up and running.

Ken

+1
    You can get HeliCoil kits at a bolt store, or most auto supply stores. You can buy just the inserts, or the complete kit (what you need) which contains a drill bit, special tap, and an installation tool. Very easy to install, just make sure you drill and tap the hole straight and clear the chips out. The HeliCoil is essentially a stainless steel spring that you screw into the new threads.

I went on the internet and googled "Heli-coil" and found lots of information on installation procedures etc.

I found Sears has the kit for M8 x 1.25 with 10 coils included for $29.95. I will check at the Sears Hardware store which is very close to where I live. If they don't have it I may just order it on line since I am in no hurry to get it repaired.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out. ( I will make sure when I drill the pilot hole that it is straight. Also, should I use thread sealer on the insert?)

+1
    No, just put the HeliCoil in dry.

good choice, your kits are a lot cheaper than we get them here. As you get 10 inserts in a pack it wouldnt be a bad idea to try one in a bit of old scrap to make sure you get the process right before attacking your ski. It's a very simple process but sometimes its worth spending that extra time to get it right. Good luck.

Thanks Dave, I am going to take your suggestion and try it first on some old scrap metal that I have. Good thought.
    I did order from the internet but not from Sears. I found it for $25.98 with free shipping. It includes 12 inserts. I believe the one from Sears also included 12. I missed counted them from the picture. Should have it sometime next week. As I mentioned to Steve45, I'll let you know how it turns out for me. I appreciate all the advice I get on this forum. It's what helps makes the hobby fun!

Smile

Just finished installing the 4 heli-coils on my 2000 900STX jet pump. All went well. I did use new OEM bolts since the old ones looked like the threads were worn. Ski is all back together now. Just waiting for a little warmer weather and the lake to come up to normal level. I did take Dave's advice and do a trial run on a old piece of metal that I had. That really helped. Got all 4 heli-coils installed in about 1 hour.
    Thanks again for the help

Thread Information