Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Super Chargers on the 2012 Models

Taking a real hard look at the 2012 FX SHO. Questions:
    - Is the Super Charger apparatus improved from previous model years?
    - I plan to keep the boat "bone stock". If I do break some teeth of the Sprag Clutch area can I continue to ride the boat to get back to the trailer w/o doing other engine damage (some of my rides take me 80+ miles from my trailer)?

The boat would be ridden only recreationally; moderate to semi hard. I do not plan to get the boat into alot of rough water at higher speeds (unhooking). Thanks. JB

Nothing to worry about if its stock,ride it as hard as you want. Same S/C new clutch as of 2011.

+1
    I ride pretty hard offshore and I'm at 100 hours on my 2009 (older style clutch) FZR. I run a BOV for extra safety and zero issues. Also, on a stock ski I think the 2011 (newer) clutch is a lot stronger than the 2009 (older) clutch. Guys have run into issues with the 2011+ clutch when adding boost which has caused the teeth to sheer off... but on a stock ski I cannot see this happening.

+1
    If I were you I would either get the 5 year warranty or get a BOV and the RIVA Damper Kit.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
    If I were you I would either get the 5 year warranty or get a BOV and the RIVA Damper Kit.
    I think a warranty is a good idea, same with the BOV. But the riva dampener kit seems like total overkill on a stock ski IMO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Taking a real hard look at the 2012 FX SHO. Questions:
    - Is the Super Charger apparatus improved from previous model years?
    - I plan to keep the boat "bone stock". If I do break some teeth of the Sprag Clutch area can I continue to ride the boat to get back to the trailer w/o doing other engine damage (some of my rides take me 80+ miles from my trailer)?

The boat would be ridden only recreationally; moderate to semi hard. I do not plan to get the boat into alot of rough water at higher speeds (unhooking). Thanks. JB
    John, John, John...
    stop worrying, it's not a Kawi. BTW, did you sell your Ultra?

Seriously, we have over 140 hours on two of the 2009 clutches; that's a total of almost 300 hours on our skis with ZERO issues. We never hesitate to run the skis hard. In the entire first year of operation, the only thing we did was add a quart of oil to one of them. The other one didn't even need that; the entire first year!

Your VXR/S needs a reliable running mate.
    Just tell the dealers you want to include the 5 year Y.E.S. warranty, get your best deal on that SHO, then get out on the water and HAVE FUN.

I'm thinking the only issue you might have on an 80 mile trip is FUEL; depending on how you push it, the SC ski is probably not going to go as long as your VX without a stiff drink.

Well that's about the extent of it YoYamma. The VXS needs a mate; and it's gonna be the new FX HO or the FX SHO (I am leaning toward the SHO). The Ultra is in "mothballs" right now and will be "moved" at the appropriate time. It has served me well in many areas but the fuel mileage and very frequent oil changes, and 91 octane requirement . . . I'm done. The Ultra does do one thing very well: it plows through rough water like a beast.

I have just fallen in love with the VXS and the 1.8 litre engine . . . so I am adding another YAM to the trailer. For me, it's all about just enjoying the ride now. The VXS will be the small water boat when I want to go faster. The FX will be the choice if it is rougher or I want to bring Girlfriend along for the ride (her comfort counts too). It will be the first time since 1985 I have not had a KAW in the garage. But they seem to be catering to a different type of rider than what I like to do nowadays . . .

+1
    Buy the five year warranty and you'll never need it. Lol.

Seriously, I'd go with a BOV and a dampener just to be safe if you can't row to your pier. Just my .02.

And it's nice reading your posts here on the Yamaha side.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    I have just fallen in love with the VXS and the 1.8 litre engine . . . so I am adding another YAM to the trailer.
    Well like I always say, two is better than one!

+1
    had a call from a guy today with a stock 2011 clutch gone at 30hrs, another guys 2011 gone at 15hrs, motors have to come out of both

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information