Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Mileage vs Hours...

Ok, so the general automobile standard that defines a seasoned (getting old) vehicle is 100,000 miles. How many "hours" on a pwc is the equivalent to that?

+1
    for me seems every 10 hrs my motor is out of the hull. i would say on a stock ski....maby 4-500 hrs

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brittrich View Post
    Ok, so the general automobile standard that defines a seasoned (getting old) vehicle is 100,000 miles. How many "hours" on a pwc is the equivalent to that?
    It's not a matter of equivalents. The skis run at 3-4 times the rpm a car does at cruising an upwards of 6-8 times more at wot. It's all in how you care for it IMO! I have seen quite a few 600hr + with great compression, leakdown, etc! Preventative maintenance is key as well as over all care!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    It's not a matter of equivalents. The skis run at 3-4 times the rpm a car does at cruising an upwards of 6-8 times more at wot. It's all in how you care for it IMO! I have seen quite a few 600hr + with great compression, leakdown, etc! Preventative maintenance is key as well as over all care!
    +1 on maintenance

+1
    I'm sure it has to do with the abuse and maintenance on the motor. I have friends that have close to 1,000 hours on their turbo Hondas and one runs close to 70. The fuel mpg is outstanding on these skis compared to ours with the exception of my wife's conversion. Also there has been a lot more eth introduced into our pump gas as of recent which will also contribute to poor mileage.

After putting 250k miles on my work truck 1500 Z71 the mileage is about the same from new to now. Oil is changed every 3 to 4k and only run BP premium. Its my belief the contaminants in the fuel is what adds to the degradation on the motor. It still runs the same and gets about 1mpg less then it did new. Most people are on their second motor by that time. I also believe in warming a motor up to OT before raising rpm above 2k.

Just my 2 cents.

+1
    Hmmm...sounds good. Im new 2 the sport & just trying 2 get my legs underneath me bout everything. I pamper my 2 ski's so hopefully I'll hav a 1,000 + hour story 2 tell.

Thx guys

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I'm sure it has to do with the abuse and maintenance on the motor. I have friends that have close to 1,000 hours on their turbo Hondas and one runs close to 70. The fuel mpg is outstanding on these skis compared to ours with the exception of my wife's conversion. Also there has been a lot more eth introduced into our pump gas as of recent which will also contribute to poor mileage.

After putting 250k miles on my work truck 1500 Z71 the mileage is about the same from new to now. Oil is changed every 3 to 4k and only run BP premium. Its my belief the contaminants in the fuel is what adds to the degradation on the motor. It still runs the same and gets about 1mpg less then it did new. Most people are on their second motor by that time. I also believe in warming a motor up to OT before raising rpm above 2k.

Just my 2 cents.
    I agree. Most think I'm overly cautious and poke fun at my warm-up rituals, whether it be my truck, bikes, sea doo, or even my traxxas cars/trucks. For some reason they last longer than every one elses... Hmmm.
    Treat 'em right with correct maintenance and you'll wear out the seat before the engine.

Hmm, I've beat the piss out of every Toyota pickup I have ever owned, 4 of them, change the oil when I feel like bothering, like every 15-20K miles, plugs every 200K or so. My first one was still running great with 375K miles on the clock when I sold it. I had to put the second down due to rusty frame at 325K. Third one, 225K when I sold it to buy a new one. My current one only has 250K on it. Might see if I can get 500K out of it. I've never had to replace a clutch on any of them. Same with the Audi quattro that I sold with 350K on it. Original clutch.

My Chevy blazer was the last US made vehicle I owned. Blew tranny at 50K, cam at 65K, whole bunch of stuff around 75K, engine woofed at 90K.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

Just my 2 cents.
    I would agree with that statement!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Hmm, I've beat the piss out of every Toyota pickup I have ever owned, 4 of them, change the oil when I feel like bothering, like every 15-20K miles, plugs every 200K or so. My first one was still running great with 375K miles on the clock when I sold it. I had to put the second down due to rusty frame at 325K. Third one, 225K when I sold it to buy a new one. My current one only has 250K on it. Might see if I can get 500K out of it. I've never had to replace a clutch on any of them. Same with the Audi quattro that I sold with 350K on it. Original clutch.

My Chevy blazer was the last US made vehicle I owned. Blew tranny at 50K, cam at 65K, whole bunch of stuff around 75K, engine woofed at 90K.
    That brings out a good point about power verses lifspan. Our skis run at a very high rpm due to the direct drive where as our vehicles have several speeds and most of the hours collected are below 3k rpm. Now if the vehicle is a gutless terd like the Toyota its pretty hard to hurt itself, when you make 3 times the power in an LS based motor your going to need to take care of it. Same could be said about our skis, I've seen rental VX yamahas with 800hrs and run great and at the same time have seen the higher end supercharged skis have failures in 10 hours.

When I met my wife she had a V6 4door Blazer that she and her dad had taken very good care of. She sold it for way more then it was worth with most everything original and working perfect at 240k miles. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information