Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pump removal /driveshaft questions

Hello..Im fixing to replace the prop and wear ring on my 2010 GTI (26 hrs) . I read the post on pump removal , but before the beer and wrenches start flying, I have some questions..
    1- After all of the bolts are off, will the pump/impeller simply pull off the driveshaft easy, or will it be a bitch to remove? 2-Do I have to worry about the driveshaft coming out of the engine or the oil/carbon seals if the shaft drops or is at an angle? Should I support the driveshaft w/ a jackstand? ( padded, of course) thanks for the help..

+1
    hey goat, you are just up the road from me. no just pull the pump off and the carbon ring on the shaft will support itself. it will come right off. the shaft will stay put. you should go to a stainless ring and you wont have to worry about it for a long time. where do you ride up there now? Meredith is about dry i hear

whas up stock? Meredith is junk, basically a mud hole now. We've been riding at ute lake in nm, not a bad place about 1 hr 15 min drive from the house, but its getting low too and the game warden's over there harass us pwc'ers every chance they get . I need to get down to alan henry, but then you have to fight off all the bass boats! Buy 2 new jet ski's during the worst drought texas has ever seen..huh go figure! Thanks for the info..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrxp View Post
    hey goat, you are just up the road from me. no just pull the pump off and the carbon ring on the shaft will support itself. it will come right off. the shaft will stay put. you should go to a stainless ring and you wont have to worry about it for a long time. where do you ride up there now? Meredith is about dry i hear
    Goat, Stock is correct about the pump, comes right off. Although i don't recommend the stainless steel wear ring. Reason being its cheaper to replace wear rings then it is impellers in case something comes though or gets stuck. Just wanted to make you aware. To each is own on this topic.

+1
    I thought the name of the game is spend asuch money as possible on these things. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by ADAMBOMB View Post
    Goat, Stock is correct about the pump, comes right off. Although i don't recommend the stainless steel wear ring. Reason being its cheaper to replace wear rings then it is impellers in case something comes though or gets stuck. Just wanted to make you aware. To each is own on this topic.
    After a few years, I still havent figured out what people think is gonna happen to a SS wear ring if something were to get sucked through.
    If you're gonna suck something through, the blades will chip and/or bend before the SS wear ring "falls apart" at all....and thats IF you manage to find something really hard to suck through. And most really hard objects arent just floating around in lakes

With a "soft" wear ring, you're much more likely to damage both the ring and the impeller. With a SS ring, you're most definitely gonna damage ONLY the impeller.....and in a lot of cases, the impeller can be repaired for $100 at Impros.com Yea, you might possibly scratch the SS ring, but you'll be far from having to replaces it because its just too hard to gouge up a SS ring than a softer OEM ring.

Ive had my SS ring on my RXP for about 210+ hrs now, and I live where the ONLY thing out there is rocks! Sucked rocks through it once a long time ago. Impros saved my impeller for $100. Its been so long since I installed mine (4+ years ago), I cant even remember how to install a wear ring

And, im hitting 80mph with my basic mods and that old ass SS wear ring The OEM ring was all bitched up good from previous owner, at 6.8 HOURS!

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    ^the purpose of the plastic wear ring is for it to give out, not the prop. damaging the ss ring isnt the concern either...its not hurting the prop. plastic wear ring= $70 new prop= $300

I'd have to first be convinced you can destroy an OEM type wear ring while not at least disturbing the pitch on the impeller.
    And impros did a full repair on mine for like $100-125. You'd really have to suck up something good to destroy the impeller beyond any repair...at which point, you'll likely have damaged the OEM type wear ring along with it.

+1
    Suck rocks and your gonna wreck your shit reguardless of what wear ring your running...With a SS wear ring,suck a stick or piece of driftwood and your gonna chop it up and spit it out,suck that same piece of wood with a plastic wear ring and your replacing wear rings...Now shit can and does get sucked up in the pump, and prop flex also eats up OEM wear rings, but to say a plastic wear ring is cheaper to run????replace 4 wear rings and you just spent as much on wear rings as you would have on a new prop...

Banned User
    +1
    IMO...a wear ring absorbs the force impact the object has on the prop and the pump wall...Stainless does not absorb the force impact, but in turn transfers that force through the driveline, such as the shaft and PTO coupler...

Plus if done right, you can use $5 plastic epoxy filler from the hardware store to resurface the wear ring...did it for 4 season

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information