+1

Skat Trak modification to OE VXR VXS impeller -vs- non-modified PICS

Earlier this summer, a client's 2011 VXS sucked up a rope and flattened out the trailing edge of the prop pretty bad. In JUNE, I ordered a new prop from Yamaha so they wouldn't be out any time on the water.... tick tock...tick tock.... come November, still on backorder and no prop to be had.

I touched base with Jerry and he recommended that i send it to Skat Trak and have them clean it up. For some reason i never thought of them, but when he mentioned it it seemed like a no brainer. I talked with Michelle @ Skat Trak and she patiently answered every question that i had, so out the door it went! 2 days later, the replacement prop from Yamaha that i ordered in June arrived at my door... go figure.

When it arrived Glen called me and notified me that it was in need of more than a clean-up. The prop was .030 undersize so some welding would be necessary to get it within spec. He also recommended that we cut the nose off and machine it to accept one of their billet nose cones. This would obviously smooth out everything and create less cavitation. Glen is VERY enthusiastic about what he does, so i couldn't wait to see what he had in store for me. He was patient and thorough on the phone and took his time to explain everything he had in mind. The work took about 3 days and shipped back via UPS Ground.

The prop arrived and was packaged exactly as one of their new props would be.

Here it is compared to my new OEM prop.

It looks fantastic, not even comparable to the OEM. All edges are consistent, pitches are uniformed, FAR exceeded my expectations. Excellent work!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0070.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	260355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0069.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	260357

The new prop uses it's own install tool that slides into the prop. All that is needed is a 1" 6-point box end wrench. The fit is very precise.

Name:	IMAG0074.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	260356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0072.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	260359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0073.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	260361

The nose cone and tool were included in the price of the nose modification service. Not sure if the nose cone is proprietary to THIS modification, but it has one stainless set screw and 2 o-rings to seal the driveshaft. Pretty standard.

Name:	IMAG0071.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	260360

The other difference i could tell was a slight change in the profile of the leading edge, seems a little smoother. Small, but noticeable.

Name:	IMAG0075.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	260358

I should have it put together this weekend, so i'll grab some GPS numbers. Don't have any before numbers, but i'm sure we all have a pretty good idea what it should do. The boat is bone stock.

Cliff Notes:

Re-pitch, re-weld prop, balance, yada yada yada $125
    Nose cone modification with cone & tool $80
    Customer Service at Skat Trak A+++++
    I got what i paid for!

+1
    Cool info Brad. One thing I will add about the nose cone. There have been some guys that get the nose cone stuck and cannot remove it. Not exactly sure how much the nose cone actually helps, but I opted to leave mine off for that reason.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Cool info Brad. One thing I will add about the nose cone. There have been some guys that get the nose cone stuck and cannot remove it. Not exactly sure how much the nose cone actually helps, but I opted to leave mine off for that reason.
    Good info, i'll pack it with anti-seize and hopefully that will help. Boat is 100% freshwater too.

+1
    Awesome! they work wonders with impellers.
    Dave at IMPROS does great work also.

+1
    Too choppy to get GPS numbers, but holeshot and midrange are MUCH better. Night and day difference!!!

Thread Information