Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New MSX 140 owner.

Hey everybody, great site! I am the new owner of an 03 MSX140 that presented itself to me last week at a seemingly good deal ($1800 on the trailer). It has 90 Hours and I was told it has been used in fresh water only.

I have owned a Wave Blaster, and a Wave Jammer before that, but the world of three-seaters with all the accessories is new to me.

I will post pics soon, and had a couple questions in the mean time:

1) It has evidence of oil leaking inside the hull. Upon inspecting the oil tank, it is actually loose, and the sending unit that sits in the top of the tank seems to do so very loosely. It has an o-ring on it, but nothing else. It is a very loose fit, and likely contributes to leaking, particularly when the tank is overfilled. (I have read posts about modding the air breather, which sounds like a great idea). Has anyone experienced this problem? Is the fix a new o-ring ont he sending unit? Maybe I am missing a part?

2) Along the lines of the loose oil tank, I found that the connecting straps on both the forward and rear strap assemblies are broken or missing. Replacing the connecting straps will surely solve the loose tank situation, but I am wondering if this is common, or if it is more likely evidence of some previous molestation.

3) We live in coastal NC, and will probably operate it in salt water at some time. It seems there is already a flush adapter installed, but I want to get the procedure right. i am sure this is outlined in the owner's manual, which I do not have. Anyone know a site where I can download it?

4) On the tip of the hull, there is a chip in the gelcoat that is about 1/2" X 3/4". It is to the first layer of fiberglass, is not in close proximity the eyelet in the bow of the ski, and I am pretty confident it is cosmetic only. Any tips on products to use to repair it?

5) Finally, I am learning there is a lot more to these machines than the 80s and 90s Yamahas. If there are some must-check items or potential "gotchas" involving this machine I'd love to learn about them the easy way!

Thanks a lot for your help, and I will post pics tomorrow when I get some good light.

Good times
    PC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04533.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	260466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04532.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	260467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04528.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	260468Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04531.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	260469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04530.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	260470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04529.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	260471

As promised, here are a few pics. Overall, the machine seems very solid, with what I hope are a couple minor maintenance issues. I removed the oil level sending sensor/sending unit today. It does not actually have an o-ring on it. Instead, the top of it is just a cork shaped piece of rubber. I don't think anything is missing, but I do think the rubber has shrank and perhaps lost its elasticity over the years. With a new unit costing about $100 I am tending toward other options besides replacement. Any ideas?

Also, in the pic of the oil tank, you can see the oil and fuel tank strap standing up. The aft straps are missing the connecting rubber, and the forward rubber piece is broken. I wonder if this happens often?

I also have a pic of the water adapter. It does not look like it was on it from the factory. I will do some more reading to determine just how to use it.

Geat site, there is a ton of knowledge on here, and I look forward to contributing once I get this ski figured out a little better.

PC

Banned User
    +1
    I have had luck with pulling out the sender, cleaning everything up very well, and reinstalling it with a little bit of black RTV. Just go easy on the sealant if you ever want to get it back out again. I mostly put it under the top flange of the sender and pressed it down into the sealant. Make sure you get it good and clean first, no oil left on the mating parts.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

Thats a nice looking MSX.

Bryan,

Good tip on the RTV. I think I'll pull the tank out and empty and clean it anyway. I have the connecting straps and a new oil filter on order from Bike Bandit. When I bought the ski, the owner had to use a booster pack to get it started. I accidentally left the battery cover there (I think) and it is discontinued from the manufacturer. Any ideas on that?

Also, anyone have any great recommendations for some gelcoat repair?

Thanks! PC

Airframe89
    +1
    That is a Great Looking Ski! I have one just like it in Jax FL. I had the seals around the oil sending unit and gas tank leak on the top. For the oil tank I used "Strawberry Tape" like electrical tape without the sticky to make the sealing surface thicker. I simply put a strip around the male side of the fitting and reinstalled it. I have not had a problem since. For the gas tank, I do not fill it all of the way to the top.
    There is several inherent problems that develop with this ski. Read the links in K447' s avatar. It will give a lot of maintenance tips and also lists the problematic areas of this ski and how to fix them.
    Be picky about the type of oil you run in the ski. Go with Polaris Pro if you can get it.
    These skis are computer controlled (timing/fuel). That computer is called the EMM. It is water cooled. The water for cooling passes through the flywheel housing on the front of the engine. If any sand gets sucked into the cooling system it will get caught in the flywheel passages and starve the EMM of cooling water. You have to make sure the ski is not run in shallow water or beached. It only takes a teaspoon of sand to clog the EMM cooling lines!!! I pull the water line comming off of the EMM with the engine running in water several times during the season to make sure I have a strong flow.
    One more thing, do not run the ski on the hose for more than 2 min straight. It will overheat/melt the driveshaft seals where it passes through the hull. To run on hose (flush), hook up hose (water off), start eng, turn on water. Do not run for more than 2 min. Shut off water, then stop engine. Let cool, tilt nose of ski 10 degrees up, start eng...give a few revs and shut off. This will blow out most of the water still in the eng/exhaust/EMM.

Airframe89
    +1
    Might need a new battery. It is not a good idea to jump start these skis. The computer is very sensitive. Purchase a high quality sealed battery. The fuel injectors need a min of 10.4 volts to actuate. This is when under a load with the starter enguaged.

Thanks for all the tips. I put the battery on a tender overnight when I got it, and have not had a problem since. Unfortunately, I found out today that the connecting straps for the fuel and oil tank retainer straps are discontinued as well, so I will probably build some extra-large rubber bands out of 3/8" bungee cord.

I believe the previous owners have run low end 2 cycle oil, so I plan on dumping and refilling with synthetic when I remove the oil tank to seal the sending unit. I'm familiar with the tape you're talking about, and that sounds like a good idea.

As for the EMM, I had no idea, though I do now. I will look into that and make sure everything is receiving cooling. I might strike it lucky and get to put in the water this week if the weather keeps up. Thanks again!

Airframe89
    +1
    Try: http://www.stjohnspowersports.com for any polaris parts you might need. The parts manager was a tester (actually performed sea trials and long distance testing) for the MSX line. I believe her husband was a polaris engineer.
    If you order parts from the online website catalog it is discounted. This is the only site I could find that actually discounted MSX parts. Many parts are discontinued. I believe that Polaris is going to stop selling/shipping MSX parts prior to next season.

Got to put it in the water today! I did not actually get the oil tank out and flush it because I did not have any synthetic oil to replace it with. I did use some pieces of bungee cord to fasten the tank retaining straps, and it was actually a huge pain the get them on. The oil and fuel tank fit together with a sort of "tongue and groove" notch, and mine seems to be a pretty poor fit. It's in there, and reasonably secure, but I did not get a warm and fuzzy that they are fastened as intended.

So, after getting it on the water and warming it up it seemed to do well. A couple times during the first few minutes of operation it had a miss or fuel starvation issue at about 5300 RPM where it would sputter for a second. Each time it did this I chopped the throttle, let it idle for a few seconds and took off again. After about 5 min of total operation it stopped this, and wound out well.

The ski seems to top out at about 95-100 KmPH at 6250 RPM on light chop. I need to figure out how to get the spedo to display MPH, but everything seemed to work well. Does this seem about right for an MSX? When I get a hold of a gallon of good quality 2 stroke oil I plan on dumpring the tank and refilling, as well as replacing plugs before spring. I'll check out St Johns Powersports for the strap retainers. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information