Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

replacement cluster..

i have an 06 rxp... the cluster pretty much died and then i made sure it died by opening it, becoming mad, and while closeing it back, cracked the screen ( dont care much about it)

anyways, i was thinking about a replacement cluster, but the seadoo oem one is 500$ aprox. which is way too much...

i was wondering if there are any clusters that could replace it. dont care if it looks oem or not, i wouldnt mind haveing 2-3 guages , already have an rpm guage (wire that wraps around the plug type)

all i want is, speed, rpm ( also has hours on it) , vts (not really needed ) , fuel level ( would be good) and error code reader (if possible but im doubting )

so really, speed, rpm, fuel, it would be great if i could use the sensors that were already there and not have to reinstall other aftermarket sensors...

thanks in advance for the replies.

+1
    The cluster uses CAN based communication so no aftermarket gauge will work with the OEM wiring. Yes you can add an RPM gauge etc as a separate unit.

+1
    so nothing aftermarket can be connected to it?
    can i route lets say from the speed sensor, to another guage?
    its going to give off some type of signal that another guage can read?
    i really dont feel like buying speed sensors, guages and so on...

so no other options?

Quote Originally Posted by shui View Post
    so nothing aftermarket can be connected to it?
    can i route lets say from the speed sensor, to another guage?
    its going to give off some type of signal that another guage can read?
    i really dont feel like buying speed sensors, guages and so on...

so no other options?
    No, no other option out there. Perhaps you didn't understand what Beerdart said. The ECU translates each of the sensors outputs into something the cluster (or a separate gauge) could use. But then it uses individual CAN messages to the cluster to tell it the values it should display. These messages are not something that an aftermarket gauge would normally use.

You could make your own. Simply record the CAN packets using a digital capture device (lots of options out there that read CAN data), determine what CAN packets are the individual messages and scaling factors are for each of the CAN messages, program up a microcontroller to capture and translate the messages into values a standard aftermarket gauge could use. Should only take a few months of work.

Or you could go buy a new cluster, LOL.

+1
    so what if i switch out the ECU? say... motecs ecu or something, (if im going to switch it out, im going to go for a small speed boost aswell)

so what if i switch out the ECU? say... motecs ecu or something, (if im going to switch it out, im going to go for a small speed boost aswell)
    No, all the aftermarket ECU's work the same way. (they have to for compatibility reasons) Besides, why would you spend a thousand bucks to fix a $450 problem?

+1
    looks like im stuck with buying new sensors to replace the existing ones + guages........
    im sure it would still be cheaper than buying a cluster....
    rpm guage, speed,fuel, vts guages would run up to a whopping 200$ plus the sensors.... speed and rpm sensors are pretty cheap from what i see....not sure about fuel+vts.... i guess one from a boat (vts) would work... like the outboard kind... plus even if i run up to abit more than what the cluster is worth , its going to be a custom look... with guages I LIKE and can actually read......

+1
    If you alter the OEM harness, sensors or any component including the display the engine will not start or run.
    looks like im stuck with buying new sensors to replace the existing ones + guages........
    im sure it would still be cheaper than buying a cluster....
    rpm guage, speed,fuel, vts guages would run up to a whopping 200$ plus the sensors.... speed and rpm sensors are pretty cheap from what i see....not sure about fuel+vts.... i guess one from a boat (vts) would work... like the outboard kind... plus even if i run up to abit more than what the cluster is worth , its going to be a custom look... with guages I LIKE and can actually read......

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    If you alter the OEM harness, sensors or any component including the display the engine will not start or run.
    Good call. Forgot about the whole marrying bit with the '06+ systems. He could switch to an '05 ECU setup and harness to get around that issue. (But to my earlier point, he seems to be set on spending a whole lot of time and aggravation for himself instead of just buying the cluster (& reprogramming/marrying) & being done with it.)

Plus, if he ever wants to sell it, who is going to buy a kludged up ski like that?

+1
    well ...
    1. im not selling... ever... xD
    2. the cluster is 500 here plus the stealer charges a crazy load of $$$ just to connect it to then comp...
    its turning out to be 700-800$ for the cluster...
    theres a BUT here... i could take it to the stealer, but my trailer isnt road legal yet. PLUS. the dealer says `` i wont touch the ski unless i get to check it/change out oil(and the fact i dont have insurance for it in the winter)" so really. hes asking for 300-400 more and has an overnight stay fee for the ski... IN THE END... its about 1000$ to do it, plus the trailer that i have to rent/ even if i get it for free for a few days.
    takeing it to a GOOD dealer isnt an option (the one i got my boat from and seadoo, and was my marina for along time) as its 70KM away from where my seadoo is...

so really im stuck with a horrible dealer near me. that wont do anything (oh and i know, ordered parts from them, came back 3 weeks later to see if theyre in (he said theyll be there in 3 weeks) and he wa slike "ohh you wanted me to order those?")
    plus... i find that good looking displays > cluster...

AND... my cluster isnt even connected to my seadoo, same as the speed guage (disconected it when bringing it to the dealer to get me one of those "props" on it... turns out they cant be ordered... so its a 200$ sensor for a prop thats missing one blade.... and my seadoo runs fine....

grr........ im kinda mad about this... its like a monopoly/monarchy... want something ... ONLY THIS... only that... like apple...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information