Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question possible new purchase

Nooobie here. Been lurking around for a while and looking at buying a pair of used skis. Found a 2005 Sea-Doo RXT 2nd owner just under 100 hours, no mods no fixes, says he only took it out once this summer to pull kids around. I know now is the time to rebuild supercharger $400-$500 correct? Inside compartment looks very clean. Stored indoors and winterized every winter he has owned it by local shop. 2nd ski is a 2005 Honda Aquatrax R-12X turbo stock with under 25 hours, he bought it brand new 3 years ago from local dealer and did not ride at all this past summer. Stock everything and very clean under the seat. Same maint. as other one. Trailer is a two spot Rolco with front basket. A couple of gas cans, life jackets, and anchor. He is asking $9000 for everything. Living in Colorado it would be almost impossible to get them in any water right now. I have seen them and look to be in Great shape. Any input would be appreciated.

+1
    hm..... id say its a GREAT deal....
    id go for it for that kind of money... totally worth it...
    sure your not going to be the fastest. but hey... your looking for a used ski...
    would it be possible to water test them? +check the SC if your getting any boost... ( easy to do, start engine (even on land) and rev it afew times..... while revving look at the SC hose.. it should inflate......
    if it stays mushy... then no boost. if it hardens and becomes bigger abit then its all good... and yes SC rebuild IS ~~450$

just make sure none of them have any cracks in the hulls and such + check if they run + check the impeller......

if they run GOOD... then your basicly all set...

if some one would offer me that kind of a deal id buy it the same instant....

Thanks for the quick input, Probably no chance of water, frozen everywhere. How long can you start them on land without damage? Or since they are closed system it should'nt matter right? I did check the exaust blades from the back with a flashlight, looks good. Hulls both look to be in great shape. Minor scratching on bottom, couple of weeds hanging from bottom where impeller is on the GTX. Did not crawl underneath to check it, probably should have. Any worries on the Honda?

+1
    go for afew seconds really, no need for much.
    start it, if it doesnt sputter/backfire or anything its all good. not sure about the honda but you can run the seadoo for a minute (at idle i believe ) but i wouldnt recomend it...
    you can always stop it, and re start it in afew minutes.
    the system IS closed but the muffler is water cooled. so thats the first thing that will overheat.
    the engine itself is cooled by the rideplate (by water that contacts it)

and i wanted to get a honda..this year but sadly the guy wouldnt budge from 8000$ for it ( 2007 or 2008 with 80 hours on it)
    as for the scratches, its fine, just see/check if there are any cracks... plus check impeller from the underside... (where the intake grate is)
    as for the weeds. where there many? if so check if the engine wasnt overheated/ exaust. most probable would be some melted plastic here and there, an odour or some yellow-ish patch near the muffler, plus the paint might of been peeled off if it did OH (overheat)

and now back to the honda.. there should be no worries about it. great machine overall... no big issues really (unless there were some on the earlier models (check it out on the web for their problems))
    and i have never water tested one. but i hear they are pretty good. about an 8/10 while seadoo is an 8.5/10 (like my friends describe it( overall rating)

welcome to the forum + ask more questions and ill help if i can.

Thanks again, I will probably wait till the new year to get a closer look. No rush at 20 degree weather.
    Can't wait!!!

+1
    no problem. sadly here its somewhat the same temp. but no snow...
    the lake isnt frozen either...

oh and P.S. if it does backfire. even if its a bad spark plug. make him drop some $$$ say 2-300(unless its really going to be running horribly)

and last thing. make sure he has the storage bins... ALL OF THEM... bought a ski with no storage bins (but the price was cheap)
    even if it cost me ~100$ for new bins, it still was abit.. erm... bad feeling......
    last thing... make sure there is the foam inthere aswell, as if there isnt, its hinting that it was fixed therefor crashed...
    its a part you cant buy... and cant take out without tearing... so... thats another tip....

+1
    back them into the nearest lake while tied down to the trailer, at least you can run them under a load and keep them cooled at the same time. good chance if you can put a load on them and they run good, the better the chance is there ok, just my 2 cents

+1
    The sc won't make boost till 6k or so. I wouldn't free rev it on the trailer. Cold engine, high revs... please don't.
    Big John is right. Water test!
    You need to see it under a load, and you can check for leaks at the same time!

+1
    Also 9grand isn't that great of a price.Maybe to a Canadian it is.EEEHH?

Yea, I will probably wait until some water opens and back em up, I don't think they will be selling too quickly, if they do oh well. I think I will ask him to come down to cover the price of SC rebuild, it's time to anyway. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information