Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cavitation problems LRV DI 2002

I'm suffering cavitation problems on my seadoo LRV DI 2002 on launch. It is especially bad when towing a tube.

I've replaced the carbon ring and ha the jet pump to the local dealer (not impressed with service) to have a look at the jet pump. They say that the wear ring is in tolerance but the ski is still struggling on launch.

I did notice when I replaced the carbon ring that the seal carrier surface as pitted. I cleaned it up as best I could. Should I replace this part?

Is it worth getting the pump rebuilt?
    The impeller look fine.

+1
    Yes, the stainless piece is as important as the carbon piece. PM sent.

+1
    Depending on how many hours of use (age) of the craft in some models the pump shoe or the ride plate can detached. They are glued on some parts to the hull. If the ride plate or the pump support looses that hard glue it can loose pressure in the pump causing cavitation.

Guys correct me if Im wrong. Hope this helps.

+1
    How does the neoprene seal look? Did you replace that as well? That can cause Cavitation as well. If you haven't replaced it might be worth a try its only like $10 bucks. Good luck

Thanks for the ideas to look at. Pump shoe and ride plate are fine.

This where I am at the moment.

Replaced the wear ring and carbon ring. I am going to replace the SS seal carrier as well as it quite pitted. I've removed the drive shaft from the PTO. I think the splines on the drive shaft are worn on the PTO end (picture attached). The rubber bung on the end of the shaft was destroyed. I've removed this from the PTO. There is considerable play in the drive shaft 40-60mm laterally and vertically. When you put the impeller end in there is only about 20mm and feels much tighter. Could the drive shaft hve been slipping in the PTO under pressure on launch?

My ideas are to replace the drive shaft and SS seal carrier and see if this resolves the problem. I've taken a picture of the impeller. I think that this is OK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PTO end 2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	260767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pump.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	260766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pump2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	260764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impeller end.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	260763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive shaft.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	260762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blades.jpg 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	260761  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PTO end.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	260765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PTO end 3.jpg 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	260771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive shaft movement 2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	260775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drive shaft movement.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	260779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PTO end 1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	260783  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie1 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas to look at. Pump shoe and ride plate are fine.

This where I am at the moment.

Replaced the wear ring and carbon ring. I am going to replace the SS seal carrier as well as it quite pitted. I've removed the drive shaft from the PTO. I think the splines on the drive shaft are worn on the PTO end (picture attached). The rubber bung on the end of the shaft was destroyed. I've removed this from the PTO. There is considerable play in the drive shaft 40-60mm laterally and vertically. When you put the impeller end in there is only about 20mm and feels much tighter. Could the drive shaft hve been slipping in the PTO under pressure on launch?

My ideas are to replace the drive shaft and SS seal carrier and see if this resolves the problem. I've taken a picture of the impeller. I think that this is OK.
    Hard to tell from the photos. but how does the neoprene seal look like?

The drive shaft looks fine from the pictures, it does not look worn down around the splines from what I can see.

You do need that rubber bumper there on the end of the shaft. Put a new bumper on there and then hit the grease zerik and it will tighten up the play of the shaft. It will take one or two pumps. You will still have slight play in the shaft. The grease and those bumpers is what keeps keeps the shaft tight. The fact that the bumper is destroyed means there was no grease there and sometimes it will cause the end of the splines to wear out if there is too much play. It could just be that the bumper was destroyed causing a little slip.

How long have you been riding this ski, I have never rode one this big but I would imagine that it is going to have some cavitation no matter what. Or is this a change from what it was?

How do the splines inside the impeller look?

I would re-seal the shoe area too...where it meets the hull, the entire shoe, even in the outside back area. Any air leak can cause cavitation. I use a couple 140mm neo-seal to make a seal for the flat surface...don't think they ever made a neo-seal for the big pumps. I prefer ultra-black for shoe sealing...48hrs of dry time for full cure. My opinion.

Thanks for all you help. I had an idea to look at how much forwards and back play there was in the drive shaft. There was over 10mm hich seemed a lot and the splines were coming out of the PTO totally. So I move the engine back on the mounts about 4mm and put it all back to together.

and....................cavitation solved!!

However now the ski seems to top out at 40mph and 5900 RPM where as before it would reach 47 at about 6800RPM. Any ideas why this is happenning??

+1
    fouled spark plug?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information