Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 760 motor needed.

I'm new to greenhulk so please bare with me. I'm looking for all the help you guys can give me on my winter project that im doing. I bought a 1999 Yamaha xl760 hull and im looking for a motor. But before I get into putting a motor back in this ski what are some other thing s I mY need to look at before doing that. Thanks

+1
    Welcome to the forum!

Tell us more about your craft:

Was it running when you got it, or sitting under a tree for the past 8 years?

Is the rest of the drive train functioning?

What is wrong with your engine, and is it rebuildable?

The more info we get from you, the better direction we can point you in.

It was sitting for maybe two years. When I got it I noticed oil in the bottom of the hull. I pulled the engine an saw it had a hole in it the size of a golf ball. The electrical box was taken apart along with the carbs. Everything else looks to be there and in good shape from what I can see.

got em for around $500

$100.00 guy needed money bad. Can I pUT a bigger engine in there besides the 760.?

It has mount holes for the 1100/1200 but you would need to find a complete donor for everything. If you want just a good reliable machine put a 700 in it.

What was wrong with the 760 in the machine you got as salty asked?

The crankcase had a hole in the bottom of it from a broken crank. The electrical box was disassembled and one side of the carbs had been taken apart. Everything else was intact from what little I know about the ski.

+1
    Well then, here is how you play this one. The first thing to remember is to not fall in love with these crafts! It will cost you in the long run. You will wind up locked up in a dark closet somewhere sucking on your thumb and calling for your mother late at night!

Ok, maybe I'm exhagerating a bit......

Seriously, ask around and find out just exactly what a well running 1999 XL 760 is worth. If for example, you find that they are going for 1500 dollars and you spent 500 for yours, then the most you should spend on your craft is 1000. As you put this thing together (ON PAPER) with a new engine, rebuilt carbs, perhaps electrical components and a new impeller, pump, etc., it has got to add up to less than 1500 TOTAL. If it exceeds that 1500 mark, then part out the boat you have and use that money to invest into a boat that has value.

You can get many good parts on this forum using the classified section if you choose to build.

Also keep in mind what you are going to use it for. If you are going fishing with it or taking small children for joy rides, this boat will be the ticket.... especially since these crafts when put together right are very reliable. I will tell you though that it will not break any speed records. Take all of this into consideration before you start spending money.

Thanks Salty... Very good insight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information