Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1100 Zxi fouling plugs

I seem to be fouling plugs on my 96 Zxi more often these days. Could it just be due to poorer fuel quality these days? Seems like I replace plugs more on everything these days - 4 wheeler, mower, etc. Anyway, I start getting poor performance, replace plugs, and she gets better again. I'm not talking very often, once or twice a season. Thanks for any help.

Forgot to mention - I pre mix, so that should take any oil pump related issues out of the equation. Any thoughts??? Thanks.

+1
    When you pre-mix, you're putting in waaay to much oil at low speeds. I don't know how hard you're running it, but it sounds like you're not running it very hard or the carbs are too rich. Are the plugs oily?

The plugs looked good last I remember (but i donn't reeeeealy remember). I took it out of my lift a month ago. (Was breaking in my GP1200 project). I may splash it back in this week and run it just to see how it runs and how the plugs look. I don't "Baby" it, but when I run with my daughter - most of the time - we run fairly easy. However, when I first went to pre mix 7 years ago, I noticed it actually loaded up much less when going thru idle zones and running slow. Think a little carb adjusting will be worthwhile?

Oh yeah - thanks for responding and offering up some help!!!

+1
    Well, you really need to determine if it's getting too much fuel or too much oil. What kind of oil are you using? What is your mixing ratio?

Normally, these things tend to run leaner with age because crap builds up in the fuel filters and carbs, reducing flow rate.

I'm running Penzoil @ 50:1. And to answer your earlier post, I tend to not run it hard a lot of the time. I often have my 6 year old riding with me ans she often wants to take it easy.
    Last edited by DonP; 01-12-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: more info

+1
    50:1 is the ratio for full throttle operation. It's too much for running slow. You might try Amsoil at a leaner ratio, or go to the next hotter heat range number on the spark plugs.

+1
    50:1 is the correct ratio.

do not go to a hotter plug, you would run the risk of detonation at runs @ wide open throttle

take your plug boots off of the wires, and cut your spark plug wires back a 1/4 inch or so. you may need to replace your plug boots also. they can go bad. make sure to run the proper NGK plugs at the recommended gap.

replacing plugs once a season, is not a bad thing.....

+1
    Go back and read it again. He's not running it hard, he's putt-putting slow with his 6-year-old daughter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information