Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Am I overcharging my batteries????

Ok, I've read from a previous post (copied below) that this gentleman hasn't had to recharge his battery for a couple of years. Sounds like the batteries are being charged while riding like an alternator does a car battery. I didn't think pwc batteries work that way.

I charge my batteries overnight the day before I ride because I'm paranoid about them going dead on me while on the water. ( I often stop & dive or fish from the ski & want the thing to start everytime when I'm ready to go.)

Is that overkill? Am I shortening the life of the battery by charging so much. I do use a Battery Tender trickle charger. Please advise.

(This is the post I'm quoting)
    "Some do, some don't. Some remove the battery from the ski to eliminate flamable gases that wetcell batteries produce. I have run a gelcell for the last 3 years and have never needed to charge it. Always use a low amp charger (1-2 amps max) and never jump the battery from a running vehicle. It's OK to jump from a car/truck as long as the motor is off... Ron Some do, some don't. Some remove the battery from the ski to eliminate flamable gases that wetcell batteries produce. I have run a gelcell for the last 3 years and have never needed to charge it. Always use a low amp charger (1-2 amps max) and never jump the battery from a running vehicle. It's OK to jump from a car/truck as long as the motor is off... Ron "

+1
    well... i wouldnt charge it over night..... MAYBE once a month.. when not riding or planing to ride in the next 3-4 days.....
    if you are worried about this so much get a second battery and a volt meter..
    and check both before going out...

i mean to me its easyer to stick 2 sticks at the terminals and see what it reads out than to connect clamps and disconect
    it just saves time......
    PLUS if you go with 2 batteries, no chance both will be flat.

now as for charging so often... IT does and DOESNT play a role here...
    a battery (anykind ) is rated for 1000-2000 charges ( for example) and every time you charge its -1...
    BUT this is mostly for batteries that were @ 100% and down to 0%... then back to 100% is called a charge.....
    IF you are charging it from 99% to 100% IT might be called charging BUT does it reduce the life of one? it does but imho i think barely...

a battery looses its charge because the molecules inside cant hold it in anymore ( ageing or so)

question of the day. does it reduce battery life? the answer is YES... but I dont know by how much.
    is it overkill? id say yes.....

+1
    Yes all skis have a charging system there is no need to put them on a charger unless for winter or long term storage the just a maintainer will do the job.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shui View Post
    well... i wouldnt charge it over night..... MAYBE once a month.. when not riding or planing to ride in the next 3-4 days.....
    if you are worried about this so much get a second battery and a volt meter..
    and check both before going out...

i mean to me its easyer to stick 2 sticks at the terminals and see what it reads out than to connect clamps and disconect
    it just saves time......
    PLUS if you go with 2 batteries, no chance both will be flat.

now as for charging so often... IT does and DOESNT play a role here...
    a battery (anykind ) is rated for 1000-2000 charges ( for example) and every time you charge its -1...
    BUT this is mostly for batteries that were @ 100% and down to 0%... then back to 100% is called a charge.....
    IF you are charging it from 99% to 100% IT might be called charging BUT does it reduce the life of one? it does but imho i think barely...

a battery looses its charge because the molecules inside cant hold it in anymore ( ageing or so)

question of the day. does it reduce battery life? the answer is YES... but I dont know by how much.
    is it overkill? id say yes.....
    Better go back to science class. Has nothing to do with molecules. The plates break down and can't hold as many electrons ad it does when the plates are new. Trickle charging or a battery tender will not harm the battery or shorten its life at all. Riding your ski with all the bouncing around shortened the life of your battery a hell of a lot faster than any charger will...

+1
    Someone got a good link to a good buy on battery tender?
    I did not know if the one that Walmart sales was sufficent.

+1
    Ive been using battery Minder for five years and works great you can daisy chain up-to five battery's.

http://www.batteryminders.com/batterycharger/home.php

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    Better go back to science class. Has nothing to do with molecules. The plates break down and can't hold as many electrons ad it does when the plates are new. Trickle charging or a battery tender will not harm the battery or shorten its life at all. Riding your ski with all the bouncing around shortened the life of your battery a hell of a lot faster than any charger will...
    really? im pretty sure batteries discharge because the reaction that is being produced cant be repeated an infinite amount of times...
    they loose charge because the acid/anything making the chemical reaction gets "used" and dont hold anymore charge /electrons..
    ex: lithium has 3 electrons, when you give them electricity ( energy) the last electron ( on the 2nd layer, he is by himself) moves up 1 level.. energy is stopped, the energy is stored,
    when "needed" this energy is lost, thus making the electron go back to his level producing electricity....

like i said... im not 100% sure but this is the reasons i heard/read about... but yes... the plates braking down is a faster process.....

in anyway... charging DOES affect the battery.... (ex: some DeWalt batteries i had around said "hold up to 1000 charges". it doesnt mean the plates will break down then... they will deter faster)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    I have to take issue with one of your comments. A lot of trickle chargers/battery tenders DO shorten battery life. You do not want the kind that provides a slow constant amount of current, you want the kind that charges for a period of time, turns off completely, senses a drop in voltage to the point it needs charged back up. There are not many that do this. I quit using battery tenders now. When I store something, I disconnect the cables, then fully charge the battery. Halfway thru winter I charge them up again. This lasts until spring.

+1
    I use a Ctek battery charger, its a smart charger that will not overcharge.

Not sure if you can get them in the US though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Ive been using battery Minder for five years and works great you can daisy chain up-to five battery's.

http://www.batteryminders.com/batterycharger/home.php

The one listed right above it that is $160, does it do anything differernt.
    It did not really look like it, just diffferent readouts??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information