Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

just bought a 2000 seadoo rx with SBT crate engine, time bomb??

Hello i just bought a 2000 seadoo rx carbed with a 951 sbt crate engine with around 15 hrs on the engine and 145 total on the ski. Its in really good shape and the original engine was over heated, and a piston skirt broke and ruined it. After doing some research i see alot of horror stories about sbt engines? On there site they seem like a very respectible company with good engine rebuilding techniques. Did i buy a ticking time bomb? I never water tested it, its below 0 outside. but it starts right up and sounds very normal? Doing a compression test on friday. Any thoughts?

Don't worry about it. I have run and used a lot of SBT stuff and have had good luck with their stuff. Most people that bash their stuff don't have any direct experience with them.

+1
    like said above there not as bad as people say infact most of the time if they fail it's because the first problem was never fixed

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    like said above there not as bad as people say infact most of the time if they fail it's because the first problem was never fixed
    They arent as bad..... they are worse just dont ride it hard and it might live make sure the fuel lines have been changed and might want to premix that thing or atleast service the oil pump/tank/filter

+1
    Should have done a compression check before you bought it. If you got a bad hole, itgives you a chance to walk away or negotiate a better price. It only take a couple minutes...

+1
    well that makes me feel a little better i guess, i cheaked the compression last night, was 140psi in both cylinders. I think brand new brp engines run around 150 and i heard these sbt engines sometimes run a little less?

+1
    Since you already bought it, ride it and enjoy it. If it blows then cross that bridge when you get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by chartersj View Post
    well that makes me feel a little better i guess, i cheaked the compression last night, was 140psi in both cylinders. I think brand new brp engines run around 150 and i heard these sbt engines sometimes run a little less?
    951 has about 135. I wouldn't worry about it. SBT remanufactures a ton of engines, so they are bound to have a few go bad. I have used them before with great success. The 951's are a powerful engine for it's displacement, and mine had broken piston skirts at 150 hrs. That seems to be about when they let go.

sbt makes a great engine there will always be a few mishaps half of them are from owners mot mantaining the engine and cleaning the rave valves every couple rides

+1
    ok well the guy put 15 hrs on the sbt with no problems and still has good compression so i'll just drive er till she blows, also i have read that the exhaust manifolds leak on the 2000 rx's? how do i tell if the gasket is getting bad? hopefully they put a new gasket there when the shop changed the engine if its where i think the problem is. is there any other things i should look out for, it still has the factory grey tempo fuel lines im going to replace sometime this winter, the carbs where rebuilt when the engine was changed so i hope i can do it without removing the carbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information