Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Daughter just SUNK MY SKI!!!

Daughter sunk my ski trying to jump waves & wasn't able to roll it over before it took on water. (2 stroke / salt water)

I removed the plugs, turned her over & water shot out like crazy! Kept turning it over now there's only mist coming out. Been turning it over for quite a bit but still have mist. Do I try dry plugs now or keep turning it over until even the mist is gone?

P.s...I also bathed engine compartment with WD-40. Went to Wal-Mart 2 look for fogging oil but found no such thing. 2 late 2 go to watercraft store so fogging oil has 2 wait until tomorrow.

Please advise,
    Trying 2 save my engine,
    Hopeful Newbie!!!

+1
    Don't lay into the starter for more than 10 second bursts (they overheat quick), that mist may not be water... (air fuel mixture).

If you think or if it isn't kicking out much when you bump it over, dry the plugs and put them back in and start her up.

Best thing you could do is run it... since you aren't at the lake run it for 10 seconds or so and shut it down, do this every 5 minutes or so, you want to warm it up to get the moisture out. If you won't be able to go ride for a while you can take some two stroke oil and dump a tablespoon or two down the plug holes and crank it over without the spark plugs.

+1
    You need to start this engine asap !!!
    Remove both plugs and Ground the plug leads and hold your thumb over 1 spark plug hole on the head and engage the starter for 10-15 sec hold the throttle wide open as well this will pull out any water in the crank area. Do the same for the other plug hole until no more is spraying out. Spray some wd-40 down the plug holes on both and on the electrode of the plugs .reinstall plugs and fire it up.If it does not start do procedure again until it fires.When it does fire yup dont rev it to hard as it will have water down the crank area.You need to get this thing going and then take it out and ride it for at least 1/2 hour getting it hot so no moisture is left in the bearings of the crank.

+1
    Thx guys. really appreciate ya. Good news. I kept drying plugs then dipping 'em in premix & after doing this 'bout 5 times SHE FIRED UP!!! I hooked up the flush hose & let her run 4 about 2 minutes, bumping the throttle a couple times here & there. (it's late & don't want the neighbors pissed @ me so didn't run her longer than that.

FIRST thing tomorrow morning I'm hitting the lake & I'M RIDING HARD!!! Can it wait 'til morn or do I piss the neighbors off & run her now a couple of more times??

+1
    would be nice if i could ride tommorrow, good luck

+1
    Yeah, on vacation so I'm riding my butt off all week! God is good!!!

+1
    Oh...since she's running & sounding strong, can I assume the fuel is ok so I can ride her hard 1st thing in the morning & then still have the fuel drained or play it safe and drain all the fuel, refill & then ride?

+1
    Cause technically, it didn't submerge completely, but enought that water was above the engine

+1
    We sink these things all the time in surf and fuel usually never gets contaminated. We have dragged these things back home once sunk(damaged by reefs) and we get the engine fired up and tow it down the ramp and run it on the trailer for 30 minutes in the water.

+1
    And Don't let your daughter ever ride it again. Just kidding. The more you ride will help get all the moister out of the motor. The bad thing is sometimes you can get hot spots on the piston from ingesting water in the motor. But I had sunk a old ski of mine having the same thing happen and it ran at lease 500 to 600 hr on the old stock engine. Also have seen Friend motor with hot spot that has the same thing happen too. The piston has lines up and down and looks like it trying to seize. I think you should be OK. Have fun riding. I am still waiting for more snow to go snowmobiling here and cant wait for summer too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information