Thread: Virage TX mods?

Virage TX mods?

Looking for something a bit smoother riding, so I was looking at picking up a 2000 Virage TX. (My SLX just doesnt ride very smooth on the Great Lakes) A buddy of mine has owned it since new and its in perfect shape with low hours. Without tripple pipes, what will they do with some mods (92 domes, CDI, Nujet, big carbs)? Didnt these have some issues with the Planet waterboxes?

+1
    I use to have one between 2001-2003. I had

Tau Ceti Flame Arrestors
    Hi comp domes and heads 150 psi from polaris
    Advance CDI from polaris
    16/21 skat prop
    worx intake grate
    boyesen dual stage reeds
    5 degree pump wedge from polaris

port and polish came later , but never was able to get the setup right to make it useful.

The ski would do between 63 - 64, but the holeshot and mid range were awesome. At that time I would bet any stock ski except for a 99 ultra 150.

+1
    I think I had one with the following mods and as I recall it also ran roughly 64. I don't remember the RPM's nor the final impeller bends or mods.

OP plate
    R&D shortwing
    16/22 massaged impeller
    Hardened shaft
    46's/primer/pre-mix
    Tau Ceti's
    manifolds
    Reed Assemblies
    Hot Seat Head Cover
    Hot Seat 92 Domes
    Hot Seat CDI
    Rec Port by GroupK

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    Just wondering AL-both of my 2001 TX's run per GPS in the ocean top speed with about 1/2 tank of gas/ me at 180LBS 58MPH-how much $$ are all those mods for 6MPH that you did?. What would be the best mods for speed at the lowest cost and @ how much MPH would the gain be?(and would not get me in touble with the coast guard)

And to the original Question my TX's are very stable in the Ocean ruff and chop but with our riding group I'm like doing the full motorX ride(getting the Hell beat out of me) while the rest of the group on their newer Skis(Honda's Doo's) are on the Sunday ride-if your looking for the more energetic/physical ride the TX would be the way to go

+1
    We always found the OP plates to be too herky-jerky in rough ocean conditions. It was always great at keeping the craft straight, but would whip you in line to do it. The Viragetx plate was a little less tiring, and the old flat plate from the earlier models was the softest of the 3, with a tolerence to side waves. It would allow a little sliding, which let you hang on a little better. It turned worse than the other two.

Going from a 4 deg to a 6 deg wedge softened the ride a bit, but hurt hookup in the rough.

Either way, it's a very, very flat bottomed ski, so it would always POUND in the surf, no matter what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys View Post
    We always found the OP plates to be too herky-jerky in rough ocean conditions. It was always great at keeping the craft straight, but would whip you in line to do it. The Viragetx plate was a little less tiring, and the old flat plate from the earlier models was the softest of the 3, with a tolerence to side waves. It would allow a little sliding, which let you hang on a little better. It turned worse than the other two.

Going from a 4 deg to a 6 deg wedge softened the ride a bit, but hurt hookup in the rough.

Either way, it's a very, very flat bottomed ski, so it would always POUND in the surf, no matter what you do.
    Do the early Virages have flat ride plates, and not the batwing style? What about the planet exhaust issues? Are people just bypassing the plastic parts and removing them? I'm not looking for the ski to ride like a Cadillac, just cut down on the porpoising of the SL/SLX models.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate33 View Post
    Just wondering AL-both of my 2001 TX's run per GPS in the ocean top speed with about 1/2 tank of gas/ me at 180LBS 58MPH-how much $$ are all those mods for 6MPH that you did?. What would be the best mods for speed at the lowest cost and @ how much MPH would the gain be?(and would not get me in touble with the coast guard)

And to the original Question my TX's are very stable in the Ocean ruff and chop but with our riding group I'm like doing the full motorX ride(getting the Hell beat out of me) while the rest of the group on their newer Skis(Honda's Doo's) are on the Sunday ride-if your looking for the more energetic/physical ride the TX would be the way to go

Your right. Stock speeds are around 57-58 mph. Cost for all the mods if you perform the labor was about

Tau ceti w/adapters - 240.00
    Domes and Single Head Cover - 500.00
    CDI - 350.00
    Boyesen Dual stage reeds - 120.00
    Skat prop - 229.00
    5 degree wedge - 30
    Worx grate at that time - 30 Before they raised the price
    OP plate - 159.00 Which I still have if you want it but you'll pay shipping and thats it.

You shouldn't have a problem with CG with everything listed below. Your also right pre 2004 all polaris machines except the Genesis at flat bottom hulls resulting in hard rides. You have to very good to maneuver your craft at high speeds in the rough. Higher degree wedges are made for obtaining more speeds in the flat. Having these higher degree props on in the rough will cause the machine to become unhooked at many times.

But these flat hull machines were the best. Like the SLX,ultra,XP,HX,etc. The real joy of ridden hard will never be the same.

Thread Information