+1

Florida Keys Vacation

i'm going to be vacationing in Marathon this coming week and i'm looking for first hand info on where we can and can't go on the ski's will also be glad to ride with anyone that wants to make a trip down........ i will have my computer with me and my phone, so i can take texts & calls while i'm down there

+1
    where are you staying? You are pretty much allowed to ride anywhere that a boat can as long as you follow the rules the boats do. Just stay away from people fishing on the flats and skinny water. A good trip is out to Sombero light or Bahia Honda state park via the gulf. Go into boot key harbor via water and eat at Burdines which has hand cut fries and good burgers. There is also Village corner rest in a strip mall that will serve some of the best seafood and Italian food on the island, just no party atmoshpere. Keys fisheries seafood outlet is there and they have a small restraunt. On the way to Bahia Honda park via the gulf, there is resident pod of dolphin that hangs out and loves to check out jetski's and give you the eye, kind of scary when a animal that size comes alongside, rolls and gives you the eye......... We usually ski and eat in Marathon and then party in Key West or Holiday Isle.

+1
    Just stay away from Biscayne National Park...jet skis are not allowed in the park boundries.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
    Just stay away from Biscayne National Park...jet skis are not allowed in the park boundries.
    He'll be good, Biscayne is a long distance away and as SLO as he is, he would burn his whole vacation getting there...............

+1
    funny skip, 70 isn't so bad.... we'll be staying on a 80ft schooner at Pancho's in Boot Key Harbor, close enough to Burdines that we can hear the music. so the seven mile bridge and Sombrero are within sight, and Biscayne bay is no where near the area we will be riding. at most we might go ride down around Key West just to do it. were going to be catching our dinner everynight via the speargun , a good start to my weight loss, hanging at 300lbs is killing me.......

+1
    I wasn't hacking you, just shodud because his map reading skills suck and 70 is plenty fast, especially when you don't have to wrench on it. My ski is the same, about 70ish. And don't bring a speargun around the light or Bahia Honda, FWC gets upset.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skipSC View Post
    I wasn't hacking you, just shodud because his map reading skills suck and 70 is plenty fast, especially when you don't have to wrench on it. My ski is the same, about 70ish. And don't bring a speargun around the light or Bahia Honda, FWC gets upset.
    My brother lives in Marathon, and spear fishes also,so i'm sure we go where we need to to stab fresh fish !!!!!

+1
    From Marathon, you don't have to worry about Biscayne boundries unless you plan on riding REALLY far. However, skis are not allowed in the backcountry(Great Heron Refuge). The fishermen are not exactly fans of jetskiers & will report you to USCG in a heartbeat if you're back there. We did a ride down there last summer, & one of our club members got us special permission to go into the sanctuary. We had several fishermen on flats boats scream at us that we were breaking the law. I think you're pretty much good to go anywhere on the Atlantic side though. If you ride on the bayside outside the refuge, just try to stay in the marked channels & be careful to stay out of the grass flats, 'cause they will fine you pretty heavy for that.

http://keysnews.com/node/31369
    Personal watercraft are not allowed in any backcountry waters in the Great White Heron National Wildlife Refuge, which is just north of Key West and extends from west of the Bay Keys to beyond Bahia Honda Key, Coast Guard Lt. Anna Dixon said. The Key West National Wildlife Refuge, which surrounds waters west of Key West from the Eastern Dry Rocks to the Marquesas Keys, also is off-limits.

+1
    Good info to know but, since I don't know the boundaries, I'll just ski up to a cop, and ask him.
    Me'n the bus will be a Stock Island, Key West Jan. 14. post up Cricket # soon.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Swamp King View Post
    Good info to know but, since I don't know the boundaries, I'll just ski up to a cop, and ask him.
    Make sure you have the tooth brush cam rolling for that

Thread Information