Xlt1200 bogs down...laggs. Done 25hr on new motor

Gday guys

I have an 04 xlt1200 waverunner. It has done 25hrs on rebuilt motor, new pistions,head etc. ski done 120hrs in total

I had it out the other day running full noise and it died on me-never had any issues with it before. It started up ok but is just bogging down now like its in limp home mode.

It starts ok etc but bogs down in water, sounds a bit sluggish when revving on the flush!

any ideas????or things i should check????

+1
    Do a compression test,,,look for oil in the hull,,,,make sure the power valves are cycling when trying to start. Let us know what you find.

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for your input. I will check the compression tonight on a full battery. Are the power valves the things that make a noise after its turned off?
    I drained a bit of fuel last night to see if it had water in it. appeared ok.

There doesnt seem to be any dumping of oil in the hull.

keep you in the loop.

Ok guys, number #1 and#3 cylinders are showing 110psi exactly.#2 cylinder is a diffrent story. Iyt wont register on the compression guage. The ski starts fine, i started it and took the leads off the good cylinders 1 at a time and it ran really rough but when i pulled it off #2 it didnt make a ounce of diffrence. I am wondering if its easy to determine piston/ring damge, cylinder leak or powervalves faliure. Is there any tests i can do myslef that may give me some more clarification. I know the powervalves cylce over but i am unsure if the 3 are working?

Looks like it's time to open her up again Scotty! Get Yer Tools Ready!!!

Do you still have the oil pump or did you go premix? Sounds like maybe you lost oil to that middle cylinder. Any chance you have a warranty on that rebuilt motor?

If not, might as well pull the cylinder head(s) and post some pic's to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtinker View Post
    looks like it's time to open her up again scotty! Get yer tools ready!!!

Do you still have the oil pump or did you go premix? Sounds like maybe you lost oil to that middle cylinder. Any chance you have a warranty on that rebuilt motor?

If not, might as well pull the cylinder head(s) and post some pic's to get started.
    the rebuild was 3 yrs ago by the previous owner which i have papers to support, i dont think its in warranty!

Anyhow it still has the oil pump so looks like i might have to do as you say and strip it down and have a sticky! I will get a change over the next week or so and let u know how i go!fingers crossed its not too bad!! Cheers

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    Well not registering on the compression gauge pretty much means its pretty bad. Not to bad would still register 50 - 90 psi.

Ok guys i have checked it out and the powervalve has been stuck open and decavitated #2 piston. Rebuild cost including labour new reed valves, cylinders etc, powervalves, carby kits etc $3000australian. Gotta be done i suppose!

Thanks for all your input.

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    Do it yourself and save some money. Shouldnt be more than $1000 - $1500 accounting for you living in australia.

Thread Information