Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1995 polaris SL 750 motor

hello guys how are you. i have a 1995 polaris SL 750 that has been sitting for about 6 to 7 years. the motor is in bad shape. 2 pistons are rusted to the cylinder sleeves and i cant remove them. i was able to pull off one cylinder.

i have heard of this company called SBT. I was wondering if i shoud replace my entire engine with them or do a rebuild on my own. if i go through SBT does anybody know if a PRO 785 motor will fit in the stock engine mounts on my hull. i am interested in getting one of the Pro 785 engines in my ski. Also is there a trick to pulling off the cylinders that are seized to the pistons. thank you for your help

ps i would post pictures but i dont know what the url is to post my pics. thanks

big daddy

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Buy a Pro 785 instead. The pipes wont fit with the collector and the 5 foot hose and muffler system. you would also need 3 head pipes, couplers,a pro cdi, a 4-way,a jet works valve, ete... to make the pipes work right too. Beerdart on here made a SLT 785/ he had to cut the left footwell up to get 1 of the pipes to fit, then re-glass it.. and that ski is huge up front.. see what im getting at?

SBT is another thread. some say yes and others say no way.

You can look on here for a 750 engine to drop in that runs and your done. then buy a Pro785 too!. then you have 2 skis.. the pro handles way better than a sl. I have had a sl. I have a slt, a pro785 and a 1200 slx.

if you do drop an 750 engine in it, you will need to do a fuel update to the entire ski.. rebuild the carbs,add a triple outlet fuel pump,new fuel lines everywhere, oil filter,gas filters too. about 250.00 for the fuel system upgrade and about 300-600 for the engine used. depending on where u get it and the shipping charges.

then you need to make sure the impellor is in working order, the wear ring is in tolerence, the driveshaft isnt bent, good thru hull bearing carrier, the pump bearings are good too. we can help you with whatever you need. just ask..

when installing the new fuel system. follow beerdarts diagram.. ask if you need help. the sl is a fun ski. does about 50 at 6250 rpms. spins 180's and 360's too!.

That motor is junk. the crank is probably rusted real bad. scrap it. keep the engine plate and maybe the starter if it works. the rest can hit the scrap yard.. keep the water rail on top. sometimes they warp. good to have a spare laying around. heads might be ok too. if you want to try to get the jugs off, I would take the motor out first, then take off the base nuts on the jugs and tap the piston to free it. maybe add some penetrating fluid first and let it sit for a while..

take pics of the ski and engine bay, the pistons, so we can see what things look like . we can show you how to post pics if you need help doing that.

SL 750 motor

here are the pics of my motor. thasnks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris motor 1.jpg 
Views:	905 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	260951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris motor 2.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	260952  

thanks for your help. i posted some pics of my motor. the pistons are seized up really good to the cylinders. i cant pull off the other two cylinders. is there a trick. i will keep in touch. thank you guys for your help.....

+1
    Yikes. I would leave well enough alone. that looks pretty crusty..imagine what the crank looks like? Man...you took that out fast! LOL

HOW ARE YA WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER? SORRY, I COULDN'T RESIST..LOL

yeah, thats hit pretty bad.. any rust on the crank and it will come apart in mere mins running it.. any reason you want them off? thinking of possibly saving the cylinders and getting them bored and new pistons and crank? thats a possibility.

The reason for all the fuel updates is: these skis have a problem with the original fuel pump becoming weak over time and burning a hole in 1 of the pistons. its happened to many of these skis and some members skis. the fuel upgrade is the only way to be bulletproof.

Take off the front cover where the stator is and lets take a peek at that. that might be ok. fly wheel may be good too.

tell ya what, take off the bottom case too and lets look at the crank and see how that is..

i have been working all day today to get that darn engine out. so you think i should start from scratch and just pony up some $$$ to get a new motor. or should i try to salvage certain parts on my engine. also i can take more pics if need be. do you think there is anyway possible to save the existing motor.

i want to do a rebuild of the existing motor if i can.

+1
    I see this motor had Ocean Pro Flame arrestors on it. thats a cool upgrade for it. But the carbs needed bigger jets because of the additional airflow. I bet the engine was running lean. The pto got hot, hense the chunks missing on top of it. the other 2 look lean too.(all black on top) you need to see clean spots on the pistons(wash). I dont see any so that means it was way lean while running.

+1
    If your a gear head with tools and patience, ...after you take it completely apart and i mean completely. we can all look at what you have, and see what ya need to rebuild it. that can be fun to do.. a lil project ski per-se...nothing wrong with that. if you cant wrench or dont want too, then just buy a new engine 900.00 and drop it in..
    these engine places want you to have a good core to send to them.. that can be a problem if they say yours is no good for a core, might end up costing you additional money 250.00 errr.

piston kits are about 250, gasket kit is 80, and a new crank could be 250-350.00 plus seals and rebuild kits for the jet pump, carb kits, fuel lines ete.. could be well over a 1000 if you so chose.. thats fine if you want to "buld your own ski",

some guys would tell you just buy another running ski and forget the wrenching.. its really up to your billfold and your motivation and time. you need tools too!

it took me a year to build my Pro785 and it still doesnt run right!..lol I need different pipes in it.. errr.. but yeah it runs

We all help each other and will either give you parts or sell them cheap to members to help out. we will all help you with whatever you decide..

Banned User
    +1
    I'm sure you could rebuild that motor. A WSM top end kit includes the gaskets. You would need a crank and your cylinders bored. Get a set of crank seals as well and you should be good to go. I would guess 800 to 900 bucks and you would have a good as new motor with zero hours.

+1
    I have some sl parts here if you need something. let me know. any pics of the whole ski? maybe the rear of it where the pump is? hows the bottom of the ski? seat faded bad? the handlebar pad hit? You should get an AGM battery too. absorbed glass mat. they are about 90.00 and well worth it. they survive the beating and dont leak any hydrogen. permanently sealed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information