cdi issue i think

ok i have a xl800 i have rebuilt the carbs and checked the power valves all is good i still cant get more than 4800 to 5200 rpms out of it it sounds like its hitting a rev limiter i was wondering if the dash unit controls anything like the cdi or does the cdi control all i took a xl1200 dach computer out and put it in my 800 cuz the 800 dash computer was bad

so is there a rev limiter or is it all the cdi box if so can i test it or any idea what it could be from here

2000 xl800

+1
    have you confirmed the valves are opening with the servo?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    have you confirmed the valves are opening with the servo?
    if you have confirmed this.....

try unplugging your gauge. this could be your problem. next, i would open up the electrical box, and unplug the over heat sensor. lastly, it could be a faulty CDI. i have had them go bad, and the rev limit kick in early.

Ok when I ride it with the seat off I can see the pv open up when on the trailer I bump the start switch and the servo motor does its test but I haven't really looked at it when I trying to see the rpms lol that's Nexted and what do u mean by unplug ur gauge with plug or u talking about resetting it by pulling the blue plug and I'll try the other stuff to ight and let y'all know

Thanks for the replays
    Swafia

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by swafia View Post
    Ok when I ride it with the seat off I can see the pv open up when on the trailer I bump the start switch and the servo motor does its test but I haven't really looked at it when I trying to see the rpms lol that's Nexted and what do u mean by unplug ur gauge with plug or u talking about resetting it by pulling the blue plug and I'll try the other stuff to ight and let y'all know

Thanks for the replays
    Swafia
    you said you have replaced the gauge with one from a 1200? i am just saying, this "may" be an issue. i would disconnect ALL harnesses to the gauge ( plugs) and try running.

i am not sure on a yamaha, but i know on POLARIS a bad, and or wrong MFD ( multi function display) can limit RPM's.

If you unplug the metter gauge then the ski will not start

Quote Originally Posted by swafia View Post

Thanks for the replays
    Swafia
    You will see the pv's open by revin the engine on the trailer

Update I bought a new dash unit and the it worked no I'm revimg at 7500 I can't wait to get out on the water lol

Thread Information