+1

Mtc piston from riva clearance ??????

What kind of piston to wall clearance can be max for me to used on MTC piston from riva 20 over on the motor,i like to know how is running arround 4 to 5 clearance know if they have any problem ,my in 4 1/2 clearence now will this be a problem or am fine ??????? I know that wisecon piston you cant go up to 4 plus 1 if is marine from standar side...please dont post anithing if you dont have no idea what you talking about thank you ...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpredviper View Post
    What kind of piston to wall clearance can be max for me to used on MTC piston from riva 20 over on the motor,i like to know how is running arround 4 to 5 clearance know if they have any problem ,my in 4 1/2 clearence now will this be a problem or am fine ??????? I know that wisecon piston you cant go up to 4 plus 1 if is marine from standar side...please dont post anithing if you dont have no idea what you talking about thank you ...
    Are you asking if 0.0045 is too loose for the Riva's? You'll get different opinions on what is the desired max clearances but if your asking if 0.0045 is too much I would say yes, I would shoot for 0.0027 which is somewhere in the middle of Riva's (MTC) published recomendations.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Are you asking if 0.0045 is too loose for the Riva's? You'll get different opinions on what is the desired max clearances but if your asking if 0.0045 is too much I would say yes, I would shoot for 0.0027 which is somewhere in the middle of Riva's (MTC) published recomendations.
    Thank you Dnielsen I think am goint to have to send my riva piston to a company on NY to have them ceramic that will give the piston some thinkness and better performace ...thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpredviper View Post
    Thank you Dnielsen I think am goint to have to send my riva piston to a company on NY to have them ceramic that will give the piston some thinkness and better performace ...thanks
    The ceramic will only add to the height of the piston (top only), will not help you make up cylinder bore to piston clearance. If this is your goal and you are already over recomended safe clearance on the bore with .020 Riva (MTC) pistons you may consider selling them and then see if CP has a set that will work. I'm not real sure what you are trying to acheive.

+1
    The clearences recommended by Riva and MTC are for stock motors. If you go up in boost, rpm etc., you will need to add proper wall to piston clearence and ring gap as with any performance application. Its not a one size fits all question.

A dry film lubricant can be added to the piston skirt to close down the piston to wall if desired. Swain Tech offers this option but can only go so far. http://www.swaintech.com/

+1
    I called MTC befor I had my engine machined for the pistons and MTC said to set the clearence at .003 for my turbo engine with 20 PSI. So that is at the top end of the spec they give. No problems at all. Again this is straight from the manufacturer. MTC said the alloy they use expands very little so thats why the spec is what it is

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    The clearences recommended by Riva and MTC are for stock motors. If you go up in boost, rpm etc., you will need to add proper wall to piston clearence and ring gap as with any performance application. Its not a one size fits all question.

A dry film lubricant can be added to the piston skirt to close down the piston to wall if desired. Swain Tech offers this option but can only go so far. http://www.swaintech.com/
    thank duke yes that what am goint to do I call them 2 day ago and I like the idea of that .duke do you know on .20 over at 20 pound of boost and 9200 rpm what will be the corret
    clearance.??????now am on 4 1/2

Thread Information