Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Pump tunnel pressure monitoring idea

Been thinking about this lately and came up with what i thought might be a good idea. what if there was a beeper and light setup that came on at say...55-60 psi so you would know you are getting close to over-stuff?

i have searched around and havent came across a setup that would do this easily. Maby someone out there has thought of this or access to these kind of things. I figure it would be better to hear the beep or buzzer before it was too late, could save a get off.

Another question that i have is has anyone overstuffed with a relief setup? if using the reliefs you might not need to monitor pressure. thanks in advance

+1
    I think Jim (jp1300) and Duke both have experience with stuffing the machines even with multiple valves installed. It would be easy to install a pressure gauge or warning indicator in the shoe/pump support but would only help identify high pressure conditions leading up to stuffing, in most cases when the stuff occurs its because the ski is running at speeds and pressures just below the stuffing point and then something unexpected occurs such as hitting a slow roller in the path. This action suddenly changes the angle that the hull/grate contacts the water forcing more water in the path of the oncomming tunnel. It's this sudden change that causes the stuff and happens in a blink of an eye. Others have posted (such as Ocman) that they can feel the ski begin to "get loose"' or awkward feeling just before the ski stuffs on flat water, in this area the warning monitor may help identify the stuff about to occur and the need to ease back on the throttle.

+1
    Ive got two 3/8 valves installed and have no stuffing issues. Keep it simple

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLD06RXP View Post
    Ive got two 3/8 valves installed and have no stuffing issues. Keep it simple
    Yea, my wife doesnt run any PRVs and she has never had an issue with pump stuffing either, her ski is rock solid!

May sound stupid but what is pump stuffing and what happens if you stuff your pump? Also is this something only to worry about on very highly modified skis or all skis?

+1
    I'm gonna be nice since I see your new. Pump stuffing is almost always a result of a highly modified ski moving across the water so fast that the pump cant process (push out the water) the amount of water entering through the grate and pump tunnel fast enough. Once the pressure in the tunnel builds up to a critical point the ski stuffs, this causes the ski to violently slam down in the front and usually cuts hard and rolls throwing the rider off at say around 80mph or so. Happens so fast the rider cant react thus causing the rider to be spit off. Can cause serious injury and even death in some cases. Do a search for more info!

OK thats what i thought but i wanted to be sure. So it dosent cause any damage to the ski usually just the rider lol

+1
    was planning on going to an x-plate setup for pump shoe reliability and some hole-shot improvement, but trying to weigh the differences in pump stuffing speeds. would a rxp with an x plate r and d grate and an x shoe stuff like an x boat?

i have always thought the rxp stuffed at a higher speed because of the smaller opening. thoughts?

stick with an rxp setup or convert to the x plate for increased reliability?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrxp View Post
    was planning on going to an x-plate setup for pump shoe reliability and some hole-shot improvement, but trying to weigh the differences in pump stuffing speeds. would a rxp with an x plate r and d grate and an x shoe stuff like an x boat?

i have always thought the rxp stuffed at a higher speed because of the smaller opening. thoughts?

stick with an rxp setup or convert to the x plate for increased reliability?
    Convert it, has no affect on the point of stuffing the ski!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ndarimont View Post
    OK thats what i thought but i wanted to be sure. So it dosent cause any damage to the ski usually just the rider lol
    Depends on how many times the ski rolls at 80 mph and how hard it slams the water or other obstacles,

hmmmmm......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information